PDA

View Full Version : Linux and zip drive still not going

11-02-2002, 06:56 PM
My parallel zip 100 drive, though not important now, is the last thing I need to get working now. My internet is up and running.

When trying to use insmod ppa and /sbin/modprobe ppa I get this message: Using /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

I then try to mount the device and it says mount: /dev/sda4: unknown device

How can I corrected module parameters, invalid IO or IRQ parameters?

I have not installed any drivers for my zip drive as it seems I don't have to or is that incorrect? I notice you can download drivers and I have Iomega's Version 1.0 driver for my Zip Drive on CD.

I've followed the HOWTOS on the Zip Drive but rebuilding a kernel that supports what I need did not work. The Iomega instructions wanted me to boot to the new kernel created, which I did but it would not start up due to hde: lost interrupt & hdf: lost interrupt (both hard drives on IDE3).

Should I remove the devices I have connected to my zip drive currently? I have my scanner and printer on it.

Also the BIOS is set for EPP since that is the only way my scanner will work. My printer is not installed yet but I can do that easily. The zip drive is my only concern for now.

Another thing if it is related how do I make ppa load before the lp module?

11-02-2002, 07:42 PM
I fear that you are so far out in front of the bleeding edge that it is having trouble catching up to stab you in the back.

I don't know whether it is possible, but I would not *try* to run a Zip disk and a printer on the same port. I would not even *dream of trying* to run a scanner, a printer, and a Zip disk on one printer port. I don't think I would *think of trying* a scanner and printer on a single port.
There is a term which applies: 'pushing excrement uphill'.
`
It is *essential* to have the SCSI support, SCSI disk suppport, and ppa support compiled into the kernel.
It is *essential* to have the ppa module loaded before the lp module. This is all explained in the HOWTO.

But with 4 IDE interfaces, I am *sure* that you are running out of interrupts. Have a look at /proc/interrupts. You *might* be able to add a printer port, but with a fast dual processor system like yours (which is a server type system), why did you not go for SCSI? SCSI is designed for hanging lots of things on. The PC 'architecture' was not designed for anything much. It is now a hodgepodge of cobbled up coverups of cockups.

If you are still running the dual processors, and SMP kernel, I don't think you have a chance.

Run the single processor kernel, and see if you can get it going like that. Then think about SMP.

11-02-2002, 08:09 PM
I have not been running the SMP kernel but the enterprise kernel which doesn't use both processors.

My zip drive isn't that important now but I don't like giving up. I may try to figure it out later on when I get more experience in using Linux. My main goal was to get it working and be able to access the internet which I have it doing. The zip drive was just to transfer drivers that couldn't fit on a floppy disk but I partitioned a FAT32 section for my linux downloads so my zip drive is not needed.

I have about 4 IRQs left going by windows. I disabled what I didn't need in the BIOS (My second serial port and my USB ports)

I did think about SCSI and I am still thinking about it.

I've never daisy-chained parallel devices before so this was a first. They all work in windows but I am uncertain if they all can work at the same time.

I must have missed something important in that howto I'll go back and read it thoroughly this time.

Oh one thing how do I change the screen resolution in linux? I installed it set at 1280 x 768 which is hard on my eyes reading text. It was ok to make those huge icons smaller though.

12-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Pretty sure you can't have a scanner AND a Zip on the same parallel port, though this may have changed in 2.4 kernels.
I installed a 2nd parallel port (& 2 extra serial ports) & had printer+scanner on one and zip on the other.

Also, check what model your zip is as different modules need to be loaded for older models.

Last thing would be that it appears the PPA module hasn't been compiled with your kernel. To get this, you may well need to roll your own. My first attempt at a 2.4 kernel will be in the next day or so, but 2.2 had options for supporting zip drives in the config.

12-02-2002, 09:54 AM
I am using RedHat 7.0 with external Zip and printer on the same port - no recompile was needed - only the scripts as previously given - not sure what would be different?