PDA

View Full Version : Sure need some help....

11-02-2002, 03:05 PM
After re-installing win98 on formatted c:\ I am really stuck with a graphics fault that has me locked into 16 colours / 640x480 pixels. I can change th
e settings to 256 colours and 800x600 pixels but the following re-start freezes after the Windows picture. After trying over and over with the factory setup disc I downloaded a new driver with no more success.
With the new TNT driver from nvidia and it seemed to go normally...until the restart, which was typical of all the attempts I've made. The machine started loading the normal/safe mode options (I chose normal) and locked up on a black screen. Started again with the restart button, in normal/safe mode options and got to a normal screen but was back to 16 colours. (I have never told it to use the normal/safe mode to start.)
If I go to Device Manager Display Adapter and remove NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 /64PRO, which is the correct driver, then restart, I go through pretty much the same process as above with the exception that Windows detects new hardware and proceeds to install the 'correct' software. (I don't know where it comes from with no disks inserted and it doesn't give a chance to browse for a driver.) I think there was another restart and crash after that and more loading with normal/safe mode screens, sometimes using safe mode to get back to a normal screen. If someone can see what the problem is here I could sure use some help.....Ken

11-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Remove the installed drivers and reinstall the drivers while it is in safe mode. Press F8 silmultaneously during boot up to get the options menu and choose safe mode.

Sometimes installing the drivers twice without rebooting straight away works. I don't know the reason for this but it did help me with my GeForce2.

HTH