PDA

View Full Version : cant istall win98 modem

10-02-2002, 05:11 PM
hi
i installed win98 and now i cant install my modem its called lucent . it installs the modem driver but when i go and make a new connection , when i dial it gives me an error no 630 i dont remeber what the discription says . my friend told me that the modem is always installed on port 3 but looks like i do not have anything called port 3
plze help me out gineus people

10-02-2002, 06:15 PM
If you haven't already got the latest drivers for your modem you should get those and try them. You'll have trouble just find it by knowing it's Lucent. You'll need either a model number or an fcc code to track down the exact modem drivers to get.

Your mate is probably referring not to COM3 which is a possibility but if you don't use/have a second serial port then it would most probably take that spot since COM1 and COM3 share the same IRQ and you would be having conflicts. Same with COM2 and COM4.

10-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Firstly you need to know what modem you have in detail, on it if has telepermit it will give model number eg 'lucent1456' not likely lucent cause thats the chip manufacturer, but some company. Then uninstall/remove the current modem in control panel/modems/then close. Then install new modem by cklicking modems(control panel) letting windows do harware search hopefully it will find a modem on port 1,2,3 or 4 then select modem type from list provided by windows, click next then finish. Any problems post back.

Scott