PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Servers And Internet / Email

10-02-2002, 04:18 PM
I have three computers on a lan, and have only one modem/phoneline. I run windows xp pro on two of the pcs and win98 on the third. I currently use the analogX proxy server to allow shared internet access.
One of my windows xp pro computers has the modem.

I have perfectly fine access to the internet through the proxy server, but I cannot get access to my email using outlook 2000 or outlook express.

I have followed the directions in the readme file, but to no luck on either of the computers on the lan. However, i do know that the program is working because i can set up the mail access on the gateway computer through the proxy, and that is fine but when i try and do the same on the other pc's it does not work...

I am wondering if there is a firewall of some sort on the xp pc that runs the modem stopping access to ports 110 and 25, but i do not know...

can anyone assist me with this??

ps, i cannot use the ICS built into win xp as this seems to require me to use the dhcp service and variable IP addresses which i do not want, i require fixed IP's for some software i need.

10-02-2002, 10:37 PM
You could try swapping your sharing software to something that also includes a mail server (like Proxy+) OR run a mail server such as FTGate, Workgroupmail, etc on the machine with the modem. Sorry I can't help with AnalogX as I have never actually tried it myself. Incidentally, WinXP does have firewalling capabilities but I believe they are specifically enabled or disabled by the user (and, I think, disabled by default)

13-02-2002, 09:55 AM
Yeah, i actually tried proxy+ but found it to be way to complex to set up and over the top for my needs, what i am really after is something that just routes all the internet traffic from my lan to the modem and sorts out the responses and passes them back to the lan.

Is there a program to do this??

13-02-2002, 09:56 AM
Yeah, i actually tried proxy+ but found it to be way to complex to set up and over the top for my needs, what i am really after is something that just routes all the internet traffic from my lan to the modem and sorts out the responses and passes them back to the lan.

Is there a program to do this??