PDA

View Full Version : quote character behaving strangely

09-02-2002, 03:45 PM
When I hit the quote character (single ' or double ') on my keyboard, in the past few days, it doesn't echo anything to the screen. I have to hit the key again, whereupon I get two of them.

If I type a quote (invisible) and the first word happens to begin with a vowel, I get the vowel with an umlaut on it (which is a control- or control+shift sequence if you're doing it intentionally).

It happens everywhere: in MS Word, in Notepad, in email (Eudora), in Usenet news postings (Free Agent); it even happens here (ostrich) See?

So it must, to my mind, be rooted in the keyboard; but the umlaut behaviour indicates it's a software problem, rather than simply a speck of dirt under the key. I've stood the keyboard on its end and banged it (gently) on the desk to dislodge any such mechanical obstruction, but no joy.

I think I may have accidentally toggled something by hitting an obscure key or key combination, and it will be easy to toggle back once I find out what I did.

Any ideas?

Argus

09-02-2002, 04:25 PM
Hi Argus,

An incorrect keyboard layout installed under windows could be the cause of your problem. Check if you have a 101/102 enhanced keyboard installed under windows (control panel, keyboard properties, general tab). Also check that you have the english (US) keyboard layout installed.

09-02-2002, 07:25 PM
Thanks Shane. Had the same problem. From memory my K/b was English/aus but changing to you settings fixed it.
Bye

10-02-2002, 09:27 AM
OK, can someone translate that into XP for me? I can see how to do it on my Windows 98 PC, which is not the one that has the problem.

In XP, Control Panel, Keyboard gets me tabs labelled 'speed' and 'hardware'. The hardware tab (and the panel under its 'properties' button) tells me I have a *standard* 101/102-key keyboard, but doesn't give me any option to change it (as the Win98 panel does).

And, I repeat, this is a problem of only the last few days. Before that, quotes worked fine. So unless it's been flipped by a Windows Update or some kind of intrusion that beat my firewall, I can't see how it changed.

Anyone offer any amplification? Or alternative ideas?

Argus