PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring a shared modem/internet connection

09-02-2002, 03:29 PM
I have a small home network of 4 computers all sharing a single 56k modem that's permanently connected. At some point, that modem will be replaced by an ADSL modem with eithet Jetstart or Jetstream. I want to be able to monitor the amount of traffic each computer puts through that modem. I have found programs that momitor the total through the modem (but doesn't tell me which of the other computers is responsible for how much - just the total) and the total through the network card of the computer that shares its modem. (but again doesn't tell me which of the other computers is responsible for how much - just the total).
Is there somewhere a program that can tell me how much traffic each computer is generating? I imagine for a competent programmer (not me!) this would be really simple to do.

13-02-2002, 03:54 PM
I assume your using ICS that comes with win98se(+), I prefer a little more control of my internet sharing, so i downloaded SyGate 3.11, from sygate.com, (i didn't like the newer version).

It has detailed help files on setup, and although it is limited in features. (why can't anyone make internet sharing software that limits bandwidth?!?!) It is a great program, It doesn't tell you about individual computers, but it does save a log file of all access.
And then all you would need to do is knock up a quick program to process the log file, which would be much easier than another way.

bruce