PDA

View Full Version : Formatting and reinstalling Windows 95

07-02-2002, 02:56 PM
First of all thanks to those that helped me out a few weeks back with my RAM problem.

I'm now working on fixing mums computer. I would like to format the hard drive and re install all the programs, I would really appericate if some one can give me the best way of doing this.
Thanks Aaron

07-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Try this site:

http://www.planethardware.com/features/tweak/nuke_pc/index2.shtml

07-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Hi....
just reboot your system to dos mode,(you can do that by click on start/shutdown and select MS DOS). Once you got into dos, just type FORMAT C:
assuming the disk you want to format is C drive, then press y for yes (You will loose all the data).

After formatting is done, If you have a windows 98 boot disk, put that in and it'll save you from setting your cd rom drive, if not, boot your system up with your cdrom setup disk and type A:\SETUP.EXE to get your cdrom working under DOS mode(It may need to reboot). Once thats done, just insert your windows 95 cd in the cdrom and type D:\SETUP (What ever letter your cdrom drive is assigned to) and follow the instruction to finish off your installation.

07-02-2002, 06:23 PM
The problem about formatting the disk is that you lose EVERYTHING.

If you really want to do that, rather than use the Windows uninstall on all the programmes, then defrag and reinstall Windows, then reinstall the other programmes ... which would do a pretty good cleanup ... do some preparation first.

Make a DOS boot floppy which will boot, and enable you to use the CD. Test this. Make sure it works. Add FDISK.*, FORMAT.*, to it.

Copy any files you want to keep -- pkzip or gzip are pretty good compression/archivers -- to floppies. (you can use 'span' mode to run over a number of floppies). Use the pkzip or gzip 't' option to test the backup floppies, so that you know you can read them.

Then, if you are still sure, go for it.