PDA

View Full Version : Great news for virus haters

07-02-2002, 08:50 AM
This morning I downloaded my Email, someone in a Email group I am in said don't open 'Height' it contains a virus worm (not that I would open it if I saw it) then I went to www.mail3web.com and there it was all 119 K of it, so I deleted it, that's one virus that never saw the inside of my computer.

--------- more ------------
Avoid virus from large Email attachments
These large Email attachments are been sent with more regularity today and beginning to think more and more of them might carry a virus, given by stupid subject names of the attachment, at the end of 2001 I got a virus without opening a attachment, so now using a better technique to solving this problem.

I have been using Outlook Express message rules and 'Do not download it from the server' and set it to 30K', but I might chop that size down, 30K is too big for standard Email, I can tell if there is mail up there bigger than 30K as after I download the mail, I click 'send & receive' again, the progress meter runs along again but this time no more mail gets added to the Inbox.

Then use the home pages of ones ISP (Internet Service provider) or http://www.mail2web.com/ to see what mail has not been down loaded, and delete all the mail with large attachments that look suspicious or strange.

If I need to download a Email from a trusted friend, I disable 'Do not download it from the server' download any mail, then enable my 'Do not download it from the server' again and wait until next time.

07-02-2002, 03:28 PM
Your theory is flawed.

a) it assumes that your trusted friend hasnt become infected with an autosending virus.

b) it assumes that anything under 30Kb must be safe.

What you SHOULD do, is ensure you run a virus scanner with up to date virus definitions, and preferably one which scans email attachments automatically.

Disable the Preview pane in Outlook or Outlook express, as this automatically processes the attachments giving you no chance to inspect it first. Dont run ANY executable files unless you can guarantee their safety.

If an email looks suspicious, have a look at the message source before opening it, this lets you view the contents in source mode, which does not actually open the email at all, or run any attachments. If your drinking buddy has just sent you a not saying 'I instantly thought of you when I saw this' chances are its not a legit email.

07-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Iain,

My first time to post to this forum, and a novice computer user, as you may gather from the following questions.

How do you disable the preview pane in OE?

How do you view email contents in source mode?

07-02-2002, 07:07 PM
>Your theory is flawed.

The fact that it works proves something The point I am tring to make is, if everyone does this the those people who send off these files may as well give up and I am sure there people who send off VIRUS, NOT FILES, because all the virus are from people I do not know, the name of the virus is clear it is a virus. As a backup I make sure I keep my Anti-virus program is up to date EACH WEEK , Ian you should not be so negetive it works and works better than putting my head in the sand like you do.

07-02-2002, 07:08 PM
>Your theory is flawed.

The fact that it works proves something The point I am tring to make is, if everyone does this the those people who send off these files may as well give up and I am sure there people who send off VIRUS, NOT FILES, because all the virus are from people I do not know, the name of the virus is clear it is a virus. As a backup I make sure I keep my Anti-virus program is up to date EACH WEEK , Ian you should not be so negetive it works and works better than putting my head in the sand like you do.