PDA

View Full Version : Praise for Robbo - Boo's for other staff members.

06-02-2002, 08:49 PM
It is great the way that Robbo always answers anything directed at him (and a lot that is not). Nothing seems too trivial and he takes obvious care to give the best he can. It is a pity that others in IDG do not give their readers the same courtesy. On 26/12/01 I posted a query Re. a review of Flight Sim 2002 in the Dec. mag. This was directed to the author of the article as he obviously knew the answer. No reply! A couple of days ago I noticed another post asking much the the same question - again no reply. Why? Is Bruce Buckman too important to answer questions about his own articles?
Keep it up Robbo you are appreciated.

06-02-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi,

Agreed Robo is god, but I would suspect that the cause of the problem is that bruce buckman does not frequent this forum...

:)

the FAT man

06-02-2002, 09:14 PM
Be fair, people. It is my job to keep an eye on you lot. Can't spend all my time watching us get towelled in the cricket.

But I do get emails from others who do see things on F1, quite regularly. And when things get going, they do pop in.

I suspect some of them use pseudonyms, to avoid any conflict of interest (burn your brain on this, Tom, what if you are the only poster who isn't an IDG employee?). I have done it myself now and again when (last time was on that one about advertising).

I don't know who wrote the Flight Sim article, let us know and we can try again.

robo

07-02-2002, 01:46 PM
The review Tom is referring to can be found here:

http://www.idg.net.nz/PCWorld/
pcw.nsf/UNID/42D5CD260239CCF9C
C256B10000D0AE0?OpenDocument

07-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey kiddo - before you go roasting me over a hot flame some questions:

1] Did you post your question here? If so, well I don't check in here very often. PressF1 is a user-self help forum and is NOT intended to be a way of contacting IDG staff with queries. If you question was specifically addressed to me in this forum then unless someone referred it on to me (which they didn't) then I wasn't going to see it. I only know about this now because someone forwarded this thread to me.

2] Did you email me directly? If so I did not get the email. If my email address wasn't in the magazine it is on our website.

3] What was the question? I'm only too happy to answer it if I can.

Bruce Buckman
Web Dev Manager
IDG Communications Ltd

07-02-2002, 02:41 PM
Oh, and another point. You say you posted the query on 26/12/01 - that would be Boxing Day! You are roasting my nuts over an open flame because I didn't see your post, in a forum I visit irregularly on Boxing Day!!!

Bruce Buckman
Web Dev Manager
IDG Communications Ltd

07-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Okay, found your post from Dec. So for Tom (and others) wondering how to install the Geographx Mesh file, the auhtor of the file has instructions on his site . Although written for FS2000 they work fine for 2002.

http://scorpius.spaceports.com/%7Efergus/

From there click on the Scenery link, and at the bottom of the page is another link to Instructions for installing his various add-ons.

As for mixing and matching the new mesh with add-on scenery, there are issues. I've tried several NZ scenery add-ons (airfields etc, as distinct from MESH data) and some work fine but others don't. Trial and error is the order of the day.

Check the great Aircraft Repaints New Zealand site, which has some good NZ scenery files availble.

http://www.arnz.cjb.net/

Bruce Buckman

07-02-2002, 08:46 PM
Bouquets not only for Robbo.
Juha S has always helped me out if I have personally emailed him. Like Robbo, no matter how trivial he always comes up trumps if there's a solution.