PDA

View Full Version : WINPOP

06-02-2002, 09:11 AM
Since upgrading our main computer to Windows XP, our 2 other computers running on 98 & 95 can still use WINPOP to both send and receive messages. However ours can receive but cannot send.
All knowledgeable advisors including Windows site have been unable to help.
Help please

08-02-2002, 01:40 AM
you're up against it. Winpop or Windows popup uses a network protocol called Netbeui it was design to send small alerts or network messages from machine to machine. Normally XP wouldn't install this winpopup, but as you upgraded it is still on your system. without doing a bit of testing (sorry I don't have time!) I couldn't say if it would work. A better option maybe if you are using MS Outlook (not Outlook Express) you could setup a MSmail Post office on one machine and the others could connect to it and send internal emails to each other. Sorry I couldn't give you an easy fix.

Cheers,

ecko_nzed

14-06-2002, 11:45 AM
True, there is not a Winpopup in XP. You can get shareware alternatives, or you can use the ' net send ' command at a dos prompt. Type net send into the search field in XP help for instructions, or go to command prompt, and type net send ?
Or go to Start> Run > type net send blahblah, and it will send blahblah to your workgroup.