PDA

View Full Version : 'Tip' text on favourites

05-02-2002, 09:20 PM
Evening All

You know how if you hover your cursor over a favourites entry, you will sometimes get a bit of text as well as the URL, rather like a tool tip for a tool bar button.

For instance, for Press F1 it's: 'PressF1 - New Zealand PC World's self-help forum'.

Does anyone know if there's a way to edit these so you can put your own comments in?

05-02-2002, 09:30 PM
When saving it as a favourite type the comment you wish to see then rename it when it's finished.

05-02-2002, 09:32 PM
John, I don't think it is a 'tip' as such. It appears to me to be the webpage title - what appears in the title bar when you load that favourite. Nothing special, so I'd suggest there's no way you can edit that 'tip'.

05-02-2002, 09:47 PM
Ah yes, you're quite right - it is the same as the title.

I never bother to look at what's written up there.

Well, I learned something anyway.

05-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Hi John,

Well that's a good one.

As far as I know you can't edit it because it is in the web page's Title which is chosen by the page's author and is also displayed in the title bar of your window. If you click on View/Source you can see this text somewhere in the first few lines.

If you have a web page saved onto your hard drive then you can edit the title text to whatever you want but it won't have any effect on your Favorites text because this points to the link on the internet.

Bit of a pain, eh? However, someone may know of another way that I'm not aware of, so don't give up. (Heather, where are you?!)

Hey John, while I'm here Tazzie posted yesterday: 'What a week', describing his problems with building his own PC and it got me thinking about your situation. Might be worth taking a gander at it. I won't post the link to save distorting your post, but just do a search for Tazzie and you'll find it.

Susan

05-02-2002, 09:56 PM
Oh gee whizz, three replies to your original post that weren't there when I started typing 1 hour 10 minutes after your first post!

Kame replied 10 mins after you, then Mike 2 mins later and even with a fresh page loaded I couldn't see them. No wonder I keep missing the bus LOL.

Hope the site improvements aren't too far away....

05-02-2002, 10:11 PM
And there I was happily staying out of trouble doing a spot of research to see how to spend an awful lot of money. For light relief I pop in to see what's up and lo! someone wants my help!

In HTML there's a tag up in the header called <title>. If someone creates a page and doesn't put the title tag in the page it shows up in search engines as 'Untitled Document'. No name shows up in Favourites (I've just tried it).

If you DO put the title in it gets used. By the search engines; by the browser to show the doc name in the taskbar (look at the buttons in your task bar and you'll see they have names) and in the favourites.

If I created a page on dogs and titled it <title>Green Cheese</title> then Green Cheese is what you'd see in all these places.

So the answer is you're stuck with it.

05-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi Susan

I saw that post of Tazzie's, and also the other one that suggested buying a second hand machine and taking it to bits for 'the experience'.

Both food for thought.

I haven't really decided whether I'll build or buy, but if I do take the plunge and build I have a couple of advantages:

1. Where I work there are computer engineers, so there's 'last resort' help there.

2. I won't be decomissioning THIS box until the new one is running, so there won't be any sense of urgency.

It occurs to me that I should pay close attention to what combinations are being sold as systems (i.e. what components the 'experts' are putting together).

Anyway, I'll do my research and take my time - the buying is not scheduled to start until April at the earliest.

06-02-2002, 09:03 PM
It is not the same exactly as your question, but I re-name a lot of my Favorite files so that as I scan down the list it is really easy to know the main subject of that file.

It still goes to the correct URL.