PDA

View Full Version : Re-partitioning boot drive.

05-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Please would you tell me the easiest and safest method to split my 10GB boot hard drive into a 7.5GB primary DOS partition and a 2.5GB extended partition (without data loss, and without buying Partition Magic!)?

I have about 3GB of data on my master boot drive, which is running Windows 98SE, and I have another 8.6GB slave hard drive connected with it, which I use for backups.

Many thanks!

05-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Hi Nicholas, I think that in your case the best way would be to transfer the files that you want to keep on to you slave drive. Then partition your master drive using fdisk. Reinstall Windows and then transfer across the data you needed to keep.

JM

05-02-2002, 09:52 PM
there are free partion progs around. unfortunatly they are not easy to use. have a search around, i can't remember the links offhand.

2nd way. take image of harddrive and store it on another drive, fdisk to suit, format and reinstall image.

05-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Can use the free command line utility called fips that comes with most Linux distributions to non-destructively repartition your hard drive.

07-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Fips is pretty good. Just be sure to read the documentation. And back up first.

You can download just the FIPS stuff : look for a directory called 'dosutils' on the download site. (at Redhat it will be 'RedHat/dosutils'.

07-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Thank you, 'JM' for your advice, which I think is the safest, if not the easiest! Do you know if 'fips' corrupts the master boot record in any way?

07-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Thanks, tweak'e, for your help. What software would you use to make an image of the boot drive?