PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to Domain & Workgroup Networks

05-02-2002, 03:20 PM
I have a Compaq Armada E500 notebook running Windows XP Professional. At work I connect to our NT domain via the built-in network adaptor. I sometimes need to connect my laptop to my home network workgroup but to do so have to remove the domain settings and join the home workgroup. I have a spare pcmcia network card - is there any way to configure my system so I can automatically use the built in network adaptor at work and the pcmcia card at home without having to tweak the network settings?

08-02-2002, 01:17 AM
Windows XP is 'Network Location Aware' what this means is that you can use it on more than one network without having to reconfigure it all the time. I figure your network at home is using static IP addresses. if so you will need to assign XP an 'Alternate IP address' this is done by right clicking on your 'Local Area Connection' and choosing Properties. from here you need to select the TCPIP protocol and click the properties button. this will open a window that will have two tabs. the second tab labelled 'Alternate Configuration' is the one you are after. Now it will set by default to use APIA. change this to user defined and set your ip to one that will work on your home network. now when you browse your network neighbourhood you'll have to remember that it can take a while for the computer browser service to sort it self out. the best thing to do is map a drive to your home computer or vice-versa. One thing to remember is that you'll need to setup useris's and passwords that match on both machines. the easiest way to achieve that is to logon to your home macine with the same userid as your NT domain account at work.

Cheers,

Ecko