PDA

View Full Version : Can't use my DVD-ROM drive

04-02-2002, 11:03 PM
MY PC is about 2 years old. I bought it with a DVD-ROM (Sony DVD-ROM DDU220E), and recently tried for the first time to play a DVD Movie, without success.

It appears that Windows (or my PC) does not actually recognise this as a DVD-ROM drive. System Information describes it as a CD-ROM, and there is no DVD-ROM player in Accessories, as described in the Windows help. Device manager lists it under CD-ROM drives with the above description. It works OK as a CD-ROM

The DVD playback software initially suggested a video subsystem problem, but eventually I found a message saying there was no DVD present.

I found a review of my drive on the net that said it all installed and was recognised by Windows with no problem, etc., so I am totally confused!

My setup:

PIII 450mhz, 384mb RAM,
heaps of spare disk,
NVIDIA TNT card with 16mb memory, Philips 19' monitor,
Win98SE

Any help would be most appreciated.

05-02-2002, 12:36 AM
System Properties won't list it as a DVD, but as a CD-Rom, because in essence, that's what it is.

What DVD software are you using? You won't be able to watch DVD movies without proper DVD decoding software, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD.

05-02-2002, 06:17 AM
I have tried PowerDVD and also the software that came with the DVD - Interactual player. Come to think of it, that means that Windows can read _something_ from the disk, but just can't play the DVD part.

Tony

05-02-2002, 06:18 AM
I have tried PowerDVD and also the software that came with the DVD - Interactual player. Come to think of it, that means that Windows can read _something_ from the disk, but just can't play the DVD part.

Tony

05-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi Tony,

This won't solve your problem but may be of some interest.

I am in almost the same situation as you. Computer 2 1/2 yrs ago, same specs P111 450, except 256mb ram, Samsung DVD, Win 98, Same NVidia TNT 16mb video card, 17' screen, never tried a DVD disk until recently, didn't work. (Wasn't my disk, haven't tried since.) The disk worked ok in a Sony Playstation.

In start/settings/control panel/system properties/Device Manager tab, it shows as CDROM with a + sign beside it. If I click on the + , it expands to show SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-604.

At some stage in my computer I saw the words WinDVD Player under accessories, but it is not there now.

I checked with the computer shop that I bought it from, and was told that I need WinDVD Player loaded to make it work and that it will be on the Win 98 cd rom. I tried to find it but was not successful. The salesperson said that if I brought it in to the shop he would set it up for me while I wait. (As it is not important to me at present, I have decided to not bother him with it.)

If you have the correct software loaded, I wonder if the DVD disk is one of those that would never play on your machine anyway?

Regards.

LL

05-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Sounds like exactly my situation. I have also tried WINDVD (downloaded, not from the WIN CD) without success.

Power DVD just seems to hang. The interactualplayer that came with the CD definitely says it can't find a DVD.

Tony