PDA

View Full Version : XP cannot read Win2000 backup!

04-02-2002, 10:46 PM
I was running Win 2000 Pro. and did a backup of my important files to another computer on my home network. I reformatted my HD in preparation for installing XP (Home version - for clean install). But when I went to restore the backup ...argh..the XP backup program (which is not installed automatically - you have to dig it off the CD), cannot read the Win 2000 backup.

So I guess I have to install Win 2000 again to get my backup back. Resave key files in Zip format or something the reinstall XP all over again.

Or is there an easier way?

(I have thought of using another PC which has WIn 2000 installed - but don't have one).

Cheers!

05-02-2002, 06:50 PM
I think you've got the best idea as it is, installing Win2000 again and then save as regualar files.

JM

07-02-2002, 01:21 PM
A Certain Software Company has consistently for decades spplied 'backup' software which produces archives which can not be read by any later version of the 'programme'.

Ir shows just how much respect they have for their customers. If you want to recover your stuff, do NOT use 'MS backup'.

End of rant.

Yes, all you can do is reinstall, recover, and save another way.
I use and recommend ZIP or tar (yes there are versions of tar for DOS). They do not have the bells and whistles of 'real' backup programmes, but they produce portable archives. They don't rely on a particular version of OS or a recovery programme being present.

07-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your comments and Graham..I will certainly follow your suggestions. I restored Win 2k went to Backup and the dratted program would not restore the backup file!! ARGH.