PDA

View Full Version : Mouse/cursor freezing

04-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi All, Got a slight problem with my cursor freezing up when playing games. I have several including C&C tiberian sun, Red Alert2, Red Alert, Beach head 2000 and some others. The problem is when playing the games after varying amounts of time the cursor locks and I can't get the little arrow to move. The cursor itself must be moving as with some guess work I can highlight various buttons etc but just cannot get the visible cursor to move. The only way I can fix it is to reboot. I'm using a Genius Netscroll mouse and I have cleaned it etc. It works fine in all apart from games. Also using ME. I tried updating the driver from the OEM cd I got with the machine but to no avail. Any ideas??

04-02-2002, 05:41 PM
I had exactly this problem tho' it wasn't limited to games. It would 'freeze' in almost any application. I finally figured it out tho'. Think about what you've said ...'The cursor itself must be moving as with some guess work I can highlight various buttons etc but just cannot get the visible cursor to move...' That was the clincher for me. It's the video conflicting with something. Think back to what you installed/changed just b4 this started. With me it was a modem from memory. I had few resources left and it got into conflict with the video card. Have a play with your IRQ's for a start and see how you go.

04-02-2002, 09:11 PM
hi...
Another possibility that it cause these problem could be due to the directx in your system. search for dxdiag.exe in your system and goto the directx file tab and c if there is any problems, or you can just simply update/reinstall your directx. that mite be able to help ^^

06-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Hi dippy.

On an unrelated matter to your mouse, I think if my memory serves me right, you said a few days ago that you had thrown out Zone Alarm in favour of agn???? whatever. Was that you?

My surfing today has been quite slow and pages have been timing out on me, which is probably because its a public holiday and the weather is yukky, but...

If I can gain an extra few seconds by using this other firewall, and it does the job, might as well.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Graeme