PDA

View Full Version : Illegal or not ??

03-02-2002, 10:46 AM
OK call me dumb, naive etc but I just have a newbie question about mp3 file sharing - is it illegal or not?

I noticed the NZ PCWorld mag CD had software to find and burn mp3s. If it is illegal surely it wouldn't be advertised so openly would it. More of a wink wink maybe you could find something here :-) etc.

I use WinMX and find it pretty good to get the latest singles in particular. As a poor student even with my crappy dialup I have managed to get around 145 songs so far. Not all songs are of perfect quality, with some having pops & volume fluctuations etc. Therefore being able to get 'Free' music this way wouldn't stop me buying CD's but I guess it could, especially with the higher bitrate better quality songs. If it is truly illegal though I may think twice, but what are the implications - with music file sharing now rife does the music industry plan on sueing the world?

Broadband + cheap cd burners doesn't give much incentive to pay out over $30 for a shop cd. If the industry is worried how about dropping the prices a bit.

03-02-2002, 12:53 PM
MP3's in their own right are not illegal. MP3 is just a sound compression format.

However as the sounds you are putting into MP3 format are copyrighted, file sharing IS illegal in so far as you do not have the legal right to own copies of the songs you downloaded.

03-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Yes its illegal if the songs are copyrighted and you don't have the copyright holders permission (ie the record company).

'with music file sharing now rife does the music industry plan on sueing the world?'

yes, because it supported life, which led to humans, which led to copyright infringement. Therefor the world is encouraging copyright violation and should be sued into oblivion. :)

Next week RIAA vs. Universe.

03-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Sue all the world .... :-)

http://www.campchaos.com/cartoons/napsterbad/sue_56k.html

03-02-2002, 01:36 PM
To share or not to share ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1798000/1798095.stm

03-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Well I did download songs off naspter until I met a musician who basically told me I was a ****** and explained that he put his heart and soul into his music and why should some dipstick with a internet connection and a cd burner be able to rob him of a living. So I don't do it any more. I mean would you go to work for nothing. Food for thought I guess.

04-02-2002, 10:53 AM
hello Musik,
yep, it is illegal to copy etc songs,although the mp3 format isnt. however,sharing of songs between freinds has been going on well before the introduction of the net and mp3's.the only difference now is that sharing is world wide.

If songs are downloaded for monetary gain then copyright laws have a place,however,I'm yet to be convinced that sharing of music amoungst freinds is having an impact.

cheers,
Bob