PDA

View Full Version : INTERNET BROWSERS

02-02-2002, 11:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have always been curious about something.... Why would anyone want to use anymore than ONE internet browser?

To me, it's a bit like having 3 steering wheels in a car

Regards, ALAN :-)

03-02-2002, 12:21 AM
Hi Alan, I have to browsers installed (IE6, Opera6). I find it good because there are some sites that won't display well in some browsers. I can have Opera configured to not accept pop-up windows or display pictures. This comes in quite handy one a few sites where you don't need the pictures or pop-ups. I can also configure one to cache web pages and another not to.

My $0.02 worth
JM

03-02-2002, 12:26 AM
I also have 2 browsers. IE6 and netscape 6. The netscape one is primarily because I got their free email service as it has a lot more storage and is a lot easier to get to than hotmail. It is also great for the sites that dont like IE. My father runs netscape exclusively and swears by it while I prefer IE. All down to personal preferance I suppose.

03-02-2002, 12:29 AM
I design web sites. Some HTML features are not supported by different browsers. To ensure that pages I create can be viewed successfully in both Netscape and IE I check them in both browsers.

03-02-2002, 12:58 AM
i use opera6 most of the time. it has a few features that speed things up which i like thou there are a few glitches in it(some applets freeze it). for sites that display properly i use ie6. mozilla simple spits a dummy at my host file setup.

03-02-2002, 12:59 AM
I have three browser. Internet Explorer 6, Opera 6 and Netscape 6.

Only reason I have them is so I can design websites that will look as close as possible to each other.

Other reasons are that some have better features than others. I'm sure Microsoft would rather see you using Internet Explorer but we're all different and we all like different things.

To me as long as they do what they are intended to do I'm happy. I'm even happier when it opens pages faster than other browsers. I think Opera wins gold medal.

03-02-2002, 01:16 AM
I usually have three installed (only IE6 at the moment, due to a recent reformat), IE6, NS6.2 and Opera6.

Main reason I have more than one is for designing web pages to display correctly in the big three browsers, especially scripts and styles etc. For my own web use I only use IE6, can't be bothered with anything less.

03-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, which on reflection make complete sense....

Dipstick, you have given me food for thought, with your comment re free email @ Netscape. Think I might download the browser so I can get an alternative mail box (Hotmail is next to useless for me)

Anyway, thanks once again for your considered responces

Regards, ALAN :-)

03-02-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi Alan, I recomend that you do download netscape from the netb and not use the one off the pcworld cd as there has been a security issue identified with that version (probably after pcworld ordered the cds) but it has been fixed in the latest. Also with netscape I recommend that instead of going through the main browser to get to your mail just call up the netscape prog on your start menu and one of the options shown is mail. Right click and select create shortcut and voila you have a direct shortcut to your mail account. its a lot quicker.