PDA

View Full Version : Over heating temperture, can it cause prolems?

02-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Hi just wondering can over heating CPU temperture cause problems(51*C)? Like the illegal performance dialog, the One of your windows has stop responding please restart your computer(something like that), the blue screen. If so what can I do to cool my PC temperture down? I have been thinking about buying a fan but just don't know how to install it.

I running Win98Se and MS-5187 mainboard.

So if any can help me out, thanks alot.

02-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Overheating CPUs can give you problems. Though your CPU seems to be a little hot it's not much. I have mine running between 30-50:C.

I don't think the problem is your CPU unless you're testing the temperature out while it's been up and running for sometime.

But ways to cool it is to have added system fans which are excellent for cooling internals or consider getting a better heatsink and fan for your CPU.

02-02-2002, 07:08 PM
you havn't mentioned what cpu. 51 is not to hot for 1.4 thunderbird. also what case temp?

fans, it depends on what case you have got.

02-02-2002, 08:16 PM
My CPU is a 500mhz AMD k6 with 3D Processor. I don't think I can answer your second question cause I don't know what it means, sorry.

03-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Well I?ve just a heating problem with my pc a AMD 1.2 running at 62 deg. It?s been like it from new. Now I?ve since learnt that the minimum is a 300-watt psu for that CPU if it is to low it will cause the CPU to over heat. Mine was a 200-watt.
I had two fans in it one in the top drive day blowing out and sucking off the top of the case and one at the back of the case and it was still over heating.

The heat sink fan was sucking straight off the PSU case so it was blowing hot air onto the CPU in the first place. Bad case design was the biggest problem I had.

Now I?ve since got myself a new case for $120 with a 300-watt psu and a better case design. I?ve got one case fan under the PSU and the hole thing runs at 52deg when it?s working its heart out (also in a very hot room) normally it?s just above 40deg and it runs a hole lot better and much quieter.

I think you might want to look at a new case, they are not too much to buy and a well-designed case will do allot more than all the fans you can put in a badly designed case.

Tony

03-02-2002, 01:10 PM
just a small correction....a 200 watt psu will not make it run hotter. a non amd compliant psu will make it run hotter. wattage hasn't got much to do with it. you can still get 300 watt psu's that wil make the cpu's over heat due to them not having the air vents in them. amd power supplys need to have airvents on the bottom of the psu or with a good psu an extra fan.

note in big tower cases it dosn't make much of a difference if the psu is 'amd type' or not due to the cpu being so far away from the psu. smaller cases are just so much harder to keep cool.