PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Pro 'My Computer'

01-02-2002, 10:15 AM
Using WinXP Pro I have a minor glitch in 'My Computer'. Under 'Devices with Removeable Storage' there appears '3 1/2 Floppy (A:), ZIP Drive (E:), ZIP Drive (F:)' I want to change 'ZIP Drive (F:)' to 'DVD Drive (F:)' but right clicking on the text reveals a box with no 'Rename' in it. For (A:) and (E:), right clicking opens a box with 'Rename' in it and so I can change those names but they don't need changing. How do I change the name on (F:)?
Thanks..............Dave

01-02-2002, 02:42 PM
You use Disk Management to change drive letters around. Can be found in the Administrative Tools|Computer Management.

Locate Disk Management Scroll down to the Drive letters you want to change. Right click on it change drive letters. You may have to change them to a drive not in use... Like changing DVD to G: so Zip can use the F: then changing DVD to E: that way. Don't know if you can put them both on the same drive never tried it just in case problems arise.

01-02-2002, 02:45 PM
Sorry just realised I read the post wrong. It's strange for XP not to call it by the correct name.

You can't change CD Drive names because they get the name of the CD that's inserted into them which makes me wonder... Have you left a CD called Zip Drive in the DVD Drive?

01-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Thanks Kame...so it is still a problem. Perhaps if I re-allocate F(DVD) to G, change E(Zip) to F, then rename the new F(Zip) as a DVD Drive and then go through the rigmarole of switching them all backwards again, the names will all end up being correct?
A bit long-winded but will it work...it just annoys me having two Zip drives even though it doesn't affect the computer operation one little bit...Dave