PDA

View Full Version : win386.swp - Delete or not?

30-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Hi all.

I know this is rather controversial, but read an article today which got me thinking.

I have two win386.swp files. One on C:\ (256mb) the other C:\windows (32mb). I know this is used for swap file purposes but since I added more ram, system moniter tells me I don't use it anymore. If I delete them (to create more free space) won't they recreate themselves on the next boot with a zero size.

The general consenus is to leave it alone, but....

Cheers.

PS. WinMe, 256mb ram

30-01-2002, 11:33 PM
No, Windows (wash my mouth out with soap) recreates them with the size either specifically created or with it automatically handled by windows in the location specified.

30-01-2002, 11:39 PM
the fact that the swap file is not already zero means it has been used ie windows has set swapfile size to 256meg(assuming thats the working swap file at the mo), so unless you going to install at least 256meg of ram i would leave it in. total memory usage i hit at is around 600meg (win98) WITHOUT using any memory intensive program like vid editing.

31-01-2002, 12:03 AM
The one in C:\WINDOWS will the one used when you let windows manage it. The one in C:\ will be one you created manually.

The way I would fix it would be to disabling virtual memory, then reboot, delete any that still exist, (this would be a good time to defrag) then turn the swapfile back on and reboot.

31-01-2002, 04:20 PM
Exactly. And only one of those would be used anyway. The other one will be a 'left over'.