PDA

View Full Version : Install External CD-ROM

31-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Hi,
I am tryingto install the above with no success. I have tried using a serial cable from com ports and also the LPT port. I tried getting windows XP anmd 98 to find new hardware with no success. The CD drive has tow DB25 female connectors one maked 'computer' and the other 'printer'. Does anyone have any knowledge of the correct way to do this? Help would be most appreciated

31-01-2002, 12:30 AM
What make model is your CD ROM. I would believe it to be a Parallel port device so the DB25 marked computer connects to the computer.

You may need to change your printer port to ECP which can be done usually through the BIOS if possible use ECP/EPP.

Once you've done that install the drivers for it if it doesn't get detected but hopefully it does.

31-01-2002, 06:28 PM
If you did not get the cable with the drive, you must make sure that any cable you buy is a 25 wire 'parallel port' one. Not a 'Laplink compatible' one either, those are *different*.

Many of the cables sold with DB25 connectors are 'serial' cables and have only 7 wires. (Also beware 'null modem cables' which both have only 7 wires, but transposed connection).

Yes -- LPT port on computer to 'computer' port on drive.