PDA

View Full Version : data recovery

28-01-2002, 12:51 PM
I am trying to recover some files that were deleted from my system, and wondered if a program such as Norton's Undelete can recover them if I install it after the fact. The hard drive has been relatively untouched since the deletions, ie no programs added or removed and very little other saving or deleting has occured, so I am confidant that the sectors haven't been overwritten. Thanks. Win95b.

28-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Installing Norton Undelete may overwrite the very files you're attempting to save.

If you could run Undelete from a boot floppy, your chances of recovering your files would be greater. Or you could check out their website as there may be a version that can be run from that site rather than your PC.

Don't install further files of any sort until you have checked out the options.

Good luck.

:-)

28-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Main thing is not to do anything which can write to the disk. (Even running Windows).

Try booting to DOS, and trying the 'undelete' command. I forget whether that was removed for W95. Earlier versions of DOS -- 6.2 has it, I'm pretty sure.

The old DOS NU ('Norton's Utility') would probably work. Or if you can get later Nortons stuff which will run from a DOS floppy, you'd be OK.

28-01-2002, 04:57 PM
Win9x doesnt have undelete.exe, not even in the oldmsdos folder on the Win CD.
You can download an MSDOS 5 version from:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/pd0646.exe

This version is dated 1991, the MSDOS 6.22 version is 1994.
Dont know why MS dont have the later version for download, odd.
If you use it, you will have to boot from a DOS boot floppy. Otherwise if you run from Windows you will have to give the lock command from the C: prompt to enable direct access to the hard drive. Afterwards you then have to give an unlock command.
Undelete will mangle long file names. There may be other undelete utilities but it's worth giving the DOS one a go. You will need to be familiar with giving dos commands and paths.

28-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Just remembered, if your boot floppy is made using Win9x, then you have to use the lock command anyway. Type undelete /? to get help on how to use undelete.

29-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the tips folks - I haven't tried anything yet as I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing first, and before I actually go out and buy Nortons.

If I boot from a Norton CD, can it be the latest version, or will I need to find an older copy?

Thanks again.

01-02-2002, 09:25 PM
Anna

Yes you can use the latest version. You might have to set your bios to boot from CD/A/C instead of A/C/CD themn set it back again after you have finished your data recovery. Make sure you read the Nortons manual thoroughly before you start too.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)