PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer

28-01-2002, 07:12 AM
Early in January I purchased a computer running Windows M.E. A few days later when I installed Zone Alarm I found Windows Explorer trying to contact ISP 239.255.255.250 . Trace tells me it is a restricted access but the map facility shows its location . My problem where in the computer are the numbers for the address contained . Tried everything apart from entering the registry .Zone Alarm prevents Windows Explorer internet access . Must I reinstall to cure the problem .

28-01-2002, 09:01 AM
I'm no ME expert but it could be MS's live update trying to phone home to look for an update. I believe there is a setting to diasble it.

28-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Clyde,

See if you can find a setting in ZoneAlarm that prevents ZoneAlarm from looking for updates automatically. If there is one (I think there is) make sure that ZA can't check for updates automatically, and this should solve your problem.

HTH

Mike.

31-01-2002, 12:54 PM
Further to problem .No program is dialing to base except W.Explorer . All legitimate Co's are entered in Iana Data Base as their ISP provider this is restricted access - now No access with Trace as it stops at Iana L.A.indicating an alteration in Data Base entry .Win Explorer still trying to contact via net but no answer . I want to remove the address , so I dont have to keep this program denied access to net . Search does not produce this sequence fro any files etc .