PDA

View Full Version : Windows wont start.

25-01-2002, 04:50 PM
I recently deleted a file named 'scandisk.alt' from the C:\windows\command folder, I was attempting to fix my 'improper shutdown' scandisk (It had stopped working) and I tried restoring it from system file checker but it didnt have it so I presumed it wasnt a windows file (scandisk.alt).
It did fix the scandisk problem but now windows wont start, it gets as far as the background image and gives me two error messages 1: 'Explorer caused an exception 6d007eH in module explorer.exe at 0167:0040a067'.
2: SHELL32.DLL file cannot start.
I went to the microsoft knowlege database and found the fixes for the problem but they didnt work.
It also said that 'HIMEM.SYS' was missing or corrupted.
I am all out of ideas now and am thinking of sending it to a pc repair place so if you can help with the problem or you know a good shop which is cheap and know what they're doing let me know,
Thanks.

25-01-2002, 05:12 PM
I am using windows 98SE

25-01-2002, 05:37 PM
Hi, there may be another solution but just go into dos and format c: \y then reinstall windows again, if you try reinstalling it from windows then it probaly wont work so youll have to format or install to another folder/drive.

25-01-2002, 05:49 PM
NO! You will lose EVERYTHING you have ever done.

Look at the books and disk which came with the computer.

If you have an 'Emergency Recvovery CD' (called something like that), boot from it and follow the instructions.

If you have things which you want to keep and you are not *sure* of what is involved, ring around the shops and ask them how much they will charge to reload your Windows.

I don't know 98SE, there is almost certainly a less draconian way to recover from a few missing files.

25-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately the Format c: /y command doesn't work. You have to confirm formatting.

the /y command is used in Deltree which doesn't format the drive but has similar results.

25-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Scandisk.alt is not a MS Windows file it is associated with Norton Disk Doctor, which I assume you have, else scandisk.alt wouldnt have been there in Win98SE.
The accepted wisdom to restore Norton Disk Doctor after an improper shut down is to go to C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND from the DOS prompt and type COPY NDD.EXE SCANDISK.EXE [enter]

You will probably need to use a boot floppy to get to the DOS prompt.
Then try a normal reboot and see if you get a scandisk or Norton scandisk going to hopefully put things right.

Cheers

26-01-2002, 12:15 AM
I had uninstalled norton disk doctor (it was part of norton utilities) before the problem occured, but I tried anyway but it says that NDD.exe isnt there (uninstalled).
thanks anyway though.