PDA

View Full Version : Add/Remove programs query

25-01-2002, 10:47 AM
I once had Yahoo messenger now I no longer require it. I got rid of all folders, icons, the program and cookies. But under add/remove programs still sits a line ' Yahoo! Messenger Explorer Bar. I highlighted it, hit add/remove button but it will not come up it just jumps to top of list showing programs?
Any suggestions please?

25-01-2002, 11:57 AM
If it is removed then it looks like the registry entry is still there.

Before attempting anything in the registry it's a good idea to back it up first.

go start menu|run type regedit and search for yahoo messenger when you see this entry it should be surrounded by more of the things you saw in the Add/Remove just delete that entry and check the Add/Remove again and it should be gone.

I'm sure theirs a exact place to go but I don't know it but searching for it should bring up eventually.

25-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi,

Use a registry cleaner such as regclean available as a free download from most download sites.

G P

25-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Hi Ross,

Entry can be removed using Regedit (Start, Run, Regedit). The registry key that holds the information for the uninstall strings is My Computer\ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Uninstall

After backing up the registry you can safely delete the program stored under this key.

If you have TweakUI (from PCWorld Plus CD or www.microsoft.com) installed you can easily remove these entries without editing the registry directly. Note that deleting these entries will only remove the entry in the add/remove programs folder, the program may left behind other entries in the registry.

25-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Of similiar name but even better for cleaning the registry is 'Regcleaner' at:

www.jv16.org