PDA

View Full Version : Not disconnecting properly

25-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Occasionally when I disconnect from the internet my modem does not disconnect properly for up to 5 minutes, and I cannot use the phone or connect to the net again until it has. The modem status in the system tray sits there with a red X through it the whole time, yet I can't do anything with it.

Any suggestions?

25-01-2002, 02:32 PM
A good thing to try when that happens:
press ctrl alt delete

when your modem is not hung-up you'll see rundll in the list. If you kill that then you'll hear a click and your modem will disconnect.

There'll be something deeper causing the problem but doing this will disconnect you quickly.

25-01-2002, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your reply Gerard, but it doesn't work... sometimes rundll is there, sometimes its not. When it is there, killing rundll doesn't make any difference :(

25-01-2002, 06:48 PM
How about a batch file?

Hangup.bat

echo ++++ATH0 > COM1:

The '++' wakes up the modem for commands, 'AT' is the command prefix, 'H0' (check that) should be the code for 'hangup'. (Com1: or wherever your modem lives)

If you have an icon for that on your desktop it would be one click.

26-01-2002, 02:00 AM
Give the PC the three fingered salute and look for 'Rnaapp' not Rundll. I'm not sure if I am correct but I think Rundll is more to do with the running of some dynamic link libraries. Another way is to start up the terminal program and type in 'AT&F'(I think) should reset the modem. The other day I came across a usefull shareware program called 'efprcman' from efsoftware.com. It's more comprehensive than Task manager

26-01-2002, 09:42 AM
I've gone as far as killing all tasks running (including systray, but not explorer, cause that reloads itself anyway) and it still hasn't helped :(

because of it occasionally refusing to disconnect, it also causes the problem of not being able to shut-down or restart the computer... it just sits there (for the 5 minutes, maybe more, until the modem decides to actually properly disconnect).

28-01-2002, 01:01 AM
make sure you hve the right driver. Go to your manufacturers website if its an older modem or just do that neway and get an appropriate driver for your operating system

29-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Quite right, it is runapp (rundll is the little blue icon for changing res and colour depth)

If none of these fixes are working then it's starting to sound like a hardware problem.