PDA

View Full Version : Word and Wordpad 'out of memory'

25-01-2002, 08:48 AM
On my PC with 320 Mb of RAM and nothing else running, Word claimed to be out of memory when loading a 117Kb text file, and asked if I wanted to save it as 'Rescued Document 1'. I thought it might be a temporary aberration on the part of Word, so I tried the file in Wordpad, and got 'failed to create empty document' and WordPad closing.
WinRamTurbo tells me I have around 160Mb of physical memory free, and my (dynamically allocated) swapfile is only 60Mb (with plenty of room for more).
All other programs I've tried are running fine.
Does anyone have any ideas?

25-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Try opening a different file in word - it might just be the file you are trying to open is Corrupt.

25-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Well, that's interesting. Word happily loads anything on the Recent Documents in the file menu - but click on 'Open' and it says 'there is not enough memory or disk space to perform this operation'. (There's over 1Gb of disk space and 160Mb of memory). That's before the dialog box with the list of files comes up as well - just clicking on Open does it.
I'm stumped, now, having tried a wide selection of documents, with no luck. (And another thing that puzzles me is why Wordpad, not generally as memory-hungry as Word, is coming up with a similar problem.)

25-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Have you tried to close the PC down, re-boot and tried to load the word file again?

Bryan.

25-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Oh yes. I've tried resetting, and I've tried turning it off and coming back later. It's still doing the same.

25-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Memory error?

Try running on une stick at a time if possible, for a test.

27-01-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi,

I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the ram you have and that there is no shortage of it, nor of swapfile. Word, nor wordpad are actually out of memeory, that's completely impossible given the situation. My guesses are that it is flicking up the wrong error message and then taking the right course of action (closing the program). If it really were out of memory you would experience the symtoms of such, ie your mouse would drag, and other things would start crashing... I'm with Alan, though I've not experienced it before with wordpad, it is a very typical windows-like problem. If all else fails try re-installing the offending programs, and/or converting the document to a different format, .rtf, .txt etc...

Good luck

Erin

04-03-2002, 06:29 AM
I too have the same problem you reported. I'm running Win ME, and have the exact same problems (cannot open a file from within word, only by opening from explorer, wordpad gives 'Failed to create empty document.') MS reports that this is most likely a corrupt or missing Riched32.dll file(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q218838)
but I re-installed it and still had the same problem. Does this work for you?