PDA

View Full Version : Dialup Networking can't detect my modem

25-01-2002, 01:14 AM
Replaced a crashed modem (stuffed up by lightning)with a new one. Modem installed well via plug and play and modem diagnostics can find modem. Modem listed in Device manager and all A-OK working order BUT when I hit the dialup networking icon 'Make new connection' it tells me that it cannot find a modem, & starts up the installing new modem wizard. So I go through with this and it still can't find the modem installed. So what on earth has happened here??? Then I get this program Illegal operation warning Titled 'Tapisvr'.

I have uninstalled the whole 'connections' tickbox(including dialup networking) from add/remove programs in windows, shutdown, rebooted, re-installed, shutdown, rebooted but it still happens. Please don't tell me that I have to re-install windows!!!!!!!

25-01-2002, 01:35 AM
When that used to happen to me i just used to turn off the comp for awhile say 3to4 min turn it back on and all would be fine but thats just me
i don't know what windows u are running i am using 98se
if thats any help

25-01-2002, 02:02 AM
Hi there - good to see there are others out there in NZ still on the net at this ungodly hour.

Yep - it's Win 98SE & the modem I've put in is a Dynalink 56K internal (PCI). I have also taken it out and reinstalled it too.

I suspect that I have a couple (or more) corrupted Windows files somewhere but the question is where and which ones. It seems to be the link between Dialup networking and the actual modem is not connecting somehow???

I doubt that it is a hardware problem because I have also tried another modem from another computer (which works fine in the other computer) but I still have the same problem.

25-01-2002, 02:38 AM
Hi Viva, you did remember to install the drivers for the modem.

JM

25-01-2002, 03:04 AM
Siiigh - done all that, seemingly hundreds of times. Drivers all loaded, com ports all fine, all of above accepted by windows, but dialup can't see/notice/find the modem even though it shows up everywhere else legitimately.

25-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Viva, have you told your dial-up connection that you have a new modem? If you change your modem, then you have to edit your dial-up connection details and tell each connection which modem to try to use.

Hope this helps

Mike.

PS If you need this explained a little more, reply back and I'll try to wake up a little more to be able to make sense (sorry).

28-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Thankz a lot all you fellas and fellesses. I edited dial-up details, created new connections, selected right modem - all to no avail. In the end I gave up and reinstalled Windows replacing existing system (but retaining all my installed programmes & data). I hadn't really wanted to do this.

Anyway, voila! Everything was A-Ok. Shudda done it in the first place. Thez a lesson to be learned here (for me). Don't keep looking for shortcutz.