PDA

View Full Version : I can't get into dos to use fdisk /mbr - Linux Problems

24-01-2002, 10:20 PM
I can't get into dos. I used 3 different win98 se boot
disks. None work . All I have to work with is the linux mandrake 8 cd. Without that I can't get into dos or anything. I don't know why. And I can't connect my laptop hardrive to my other computer cause I don't have the little thing that I have to attach to make the pins fit in the normal desktop pc cable. I should be able to do it tommmorow if I get the cable
from my friend. Thats what I did the first time this all started. I formated the drive and created a new partition. I then formated it again and put in all my windows directory and my personal stuff. My friend told me I should have reinstalled win98 instead of just copying the win files to C drive. Anyway I put the hardrive back in and bang. 'Invalid partion table.' So now I can't even get into dos. All I know is that all I have to work with now is the linux cd. I can use that to edit the partitions. But I can't get into dos to do fdisk /mbr

Any Ideas?

24-01-2002, 11:23 PM
You will need to set your BIOS to try and boot off the A drive before your other drives if you want to use your bootdisks (assuming they aren't dead).

Failing that, you will be able to boot off your win98 cd to a dos prompt.

25-01-2002, 09:40 AM
I don't know ay. I've tried everything. I can't boot into dos at all even if I'm using the win98se boot disk or win98se cd. Only thing I can do is get into linux installation.

25-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Jack: If you were 'Hate Linux' at 17:51, check my post in that stream. If you were not, check my post in that stream.

The point others have made about the boot devices in your BIOS is highly imoportant. If the BIOS is set to never boot from floppy, the computer will never boot from a floppy.