PDA

View Full Version : ssssslllloooooowwwww computer

24-01-2002, 10:21 PM
since i installed a new hdd as my c: drive (after my origional c: went bung) my cryix 333 pc has been experiencing dramatic slowdowns in win 98. comparing to my win 95 486 next door to it, it takes about 4-6 times as long to start (if it starts at all).
what could be wrong from a hardware perspective as there is only win 98 installed on my new c:, nothing else.

24-01-2002, 11:43 PM
To me this sounds like a driver issue or that this Hard Drive was formatted on another PC and never formatted when inserted into this Cyris 333 machine. I would check that you have the latest drivers on your machine and also enable DMA under the properties of the drive.

Control Panel | System | Deive Manager | Disk Drives | Open the properties on the HDD and from here I can remember the exact tab because I haven't had a Win9X machine running in awhile. It is pretty obvious from this point tho.

24-01-2002, 11:54 PM
start | run | msconfig (type)
then startup and choose less programs to load

25-01-2002, 01:33 AM
Have you run defrag on your drive after you installed windows.

Sometimes windows will fragment files all over the place, even on an empty disk.

25-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Hi, just a guess but maybe your power supply dosent match the hard-drive if its a larger capacity than the old one, just check the power supply and work out how much you need by adding all the components power consumptions togther. (look at the manuals or find a website that tells you what they are)