PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't start.

24-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi,

AMD Athlon 1200, 128Mb RAM, Windows ME dual boot with Linux Red Hat 7.1.

When I start my comp, it loads the boot loader, I select windows and the ME splash screen appears followed by a Loading Windows... message. A blue screen of death appears with the following message 'Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System Halted'

I have started successfully in safe mode. I have disabled all my startup items using msconfig to no avail.

I tried a step-by-step confirmation start and successfully loaded all the drivers finishing with the mouse driver upon where the screen appears again.

I cannot do a system restore as I have no restore points. (What could have caused this?)

I am at a loss as to what to do.

Any suggestions?

G P

24-01-2002, 05:51 PM
Oh dear oh dear...

My experience with windows ME is:

1.) If it's not broken don't fix it.

2.) If it's not broken for god's sake don't use it

3.) When it does break, re-install it with fingers crossed, or:

3b) Pay someone to take it away...

My favoured option is to pay someone to take it off your hands, it's nothing but a liability... If you need a windows OS, use 95 or 98SE.

To be more helpful, I would suspect poor design of the OS has caused the problem, and as for what to do to solve it, your mouse looks like a problem, as it dies when you load it's driver. It may be that the mouse drivers conflict with something else - very unlikely. Or that the driver is corrupted. Try changing everything possible with the mouse. For starters, different mouse, older driver, non winME driver (get one off a 98SE disc for example), try taking it out and putting it back in again, etc etc... Next try changing everything you can think of with the keyboard, which shares the same resources and bus as the mouse...

Good luck

Erin

P.S. I reccomend that as soon as you get ME working, save all your data to an external medium and then switch to a different Windows OS, or ditch Microsoft all together, the troubles it causes are simply not worth your time...

24-01-2002, 06:34 PM
Aha. Windows has detected Windows as a major security problem.

I have tried twice to use Restore on my neighbour's machine. The first time, there was no saved restore point (none had been created). I reloaded from the PC Coimpany recovery CD, and had to reinstall everything we had put on. (Printer, Office, games). I made a recover point manually.

Failed again a month later (same failure 'RUNDLL caused a problem in RUNDLL'). Recovery point did not work. Reinstall actually left our stuff alone this time.

The Recovery point can be scheduled (I have done this now, but I won't know until the next crash whether it will work).

There is a reload option 'without' reformatting the disk. I think you have to do that. It might leave stuff you have installed or it may not. Make sure you have a bootable floppy for Linux in case you lose LILO.

How's the Linux going?

24-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Erin,
cheers, but as you know Windows98 is no longer being sold, so that leaves 2000 or XP, one which I can't afford, the other that invades my privacy, so you see I'm in a predicament.

Graham, the linux is going slow as I have a win modem and so until I can afford to replace it with an external, I have lesser productivity by switching os's every so often and so have left the linux alone for a while.

I have used msconfig to peform a selective startup which isolated the problem to be with my system.ini file. Any ideas how I can fix it? I will try and post a copy of it (I am on my flatmates win98 computer writing this).

I have partitioned windows so reformat/reinstall will leave my data alone.

BTW Erin, I disabled the mouse driver, by still had problem. must be one of those darn drivers.

G P