PDA

View Full Version : phone adapter ?????

24-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Last week i went to the US and bought a laptop but have yet tried to connect to the web in NZ.
I was reading thorugh some forums in the toshiba site and someone talked about US phone socket being different to the Australian one so that person had to get a adapter for their phone.
Does that apply in NZ as well?
Does my US notebook need somekind of an adapter to connect to the net in NZ ??

Thanks alot

mike

24-01-2002, 02:16 PM
Have a go at trying to connect to the internet. If it does not work you must need an adaptor.

JM

24-01-2002, 02:19 PM
The adapter you are referring to is likely a British Telecom - AT&T adapter.

If you have a look at a modem cables sockets, the narrow one in the back of your computer is an AT&T socket, and the one in your wall is a BT socket.

It shouldnt be a problem for you as most modems in NZ use AT&T sockets anyhow.

24-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Try your local computer store or even dick smith and ask for a 'modem lead' 'modem fly lead' or a 'RJ45 to BT lead'

Those are three names for the same thing. All the modems we get here are forign and have RJ45 sockets (american phone socket). However modems sold here all come with the needed lead and that's what you need to get.

24-01-2002, 03:51 PM
A standard modem cable bought in NZ will work. You may need a socket-socket adapter if there is a strange connector at the computer end of a cable provided with the computer.

NZ has used the BT connector for ?20 years; Australia more recently changed from a large (about the size of a matchbox and 1/2 the thickness) connector to the US style RJ12.

That reference would have been to the old Australian one, and a cable provided with an American laptop would now work in Australia.

24-01-2002, 04:59 PM
NOT RJ45 -- that's an 8 pole connector. The RJ12 is a 6 pole connector.