PDA

View Full Version : Removed Linux Mandrake 7 but now I get 'Invalid Partion Table' error

23-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Hi. I previously installed linux on my laptop running win 98 se. I partitioned it using the linux installer so that my 12 gb hardrive went to 6g for windows and 6g for linux allowing me to run windows as well as linux. Later on I decided to uninstall linux. My friend that I had got the linux cd from couldn't find it so he told me to use a program called fips. So we searched for that on the net. We downloaded it and fiddled round trying to remove linux. Then when I restarted I got the error : Invalid partition table.
So I took out my laptop hardrive and connected it to my desktop computer and copied the info to that. I then went to dos and formated the drive. I deleted the partitions on it and formated it again. I then put my hardrive back in the laptop only to get the same error again. I've already tried booting up with a win98se cd and disk.
What should I do?

All help is appreciated.

23-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Now that you've done that you have to restore the Memory Boot Record.

Use a startup disk to boot into dos and type the command fdisk /MBR

Restart the computer... hope this helps

24-01-2002, 12:34 AM
You need to get a Linux install cd and run it as far as partitioning, delete the linux partitions and the restart. Else get hold of a copy of Partition Magic. It's not a freebie but is good.

24-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Why did you not boot to DOS, run FDISK and delete the Linux partitions? That would have worked. Non-destructively.

Have a look at my posting in 'FDISK - ..' below and see how to get zap.exe . I suspect that you have 'improved' the partition tables to the extent that you need drastic measures.