PDA

View Full Version : Stoping PopUp/Under Adds

23-01-2002, 09:06 PM
Read the comments below. Another trick is to surf over to http://technoerotica.net/mylog/optouts.html

And turn most of them off. Since doing this I have had no problems and lost 98% of the adds.

24-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Has anyone clicked on the web address in the above posting?

Is it OK? It looks a bit suspicious to me.

LL

24-01-2002, 10:28 AM
It looks OK. I went to the page with Cybersitter loaded and the page came up fine.

Message on page is

'Because Pop-up Ads Suck
These links take you directly to the 'opt out' feature of the ad server listed. Clicking these links stop the advertising from that adserver.

If you enjoy seeing pop-up ads, please do not use this service.

As we find more links we will place them here. If you find something that belongs here please let us know.

Add your name to the mailing list to be notified of new entries. '

I then went to one of the link and this is what it says,

'There are many programs that allow you to manually delete your cookies. In addition, DoubleClick offers consumers the opportunity to select a persistent 'blank' or 'opt-out cookie' to prevent information from being uniquely associated with your browser. This way, you can opt-out of DoubleClick's ad-serving cookies, without erasing or altering other cookies associated with your browser. If you do not want a unique cookie from DoubleClick, there is a simple procedure that allows you to select this feature. Please also note that most major third-party online advertising companies have agreed to provide an opt-out mechanism. For more information, please visit www.networkadvertising.org.
By selecting an opt-out cookie, ads delivered to your browser by DoubleClick are targeted only based on the non-personally identifiable information that is available from the Internet environment, including information about your browser type and Internet service provider, and the general content of the site or page your browser is viewing. Also, please note that if you choose an opt-out cookie, DoubleClick is unable to recognize your browser from one visit to the next, and you may therefore notice that you receive the same ad multiple times.

What happens if I choose to opt-out?
The system will assign you the following cookie:
id=OPT_OUT
instead of a cookie that contains a unique string of numbers

By receiving this cookie, DoubleClick's systems will know that you have opted out and will not to attempt to assign other cookies in the future. Since the DoubleClick opt-out cookie does not contain a unique user number, it does not allow us to identify your browser uniquely.

PLEASE NOTE that if you erase or otherwise alter your browser's cookie file (including upgrading certain browsers) you may need to perform this process again.

PLEASE NOTE that opting out of the adserving cookie and opting out of Pop Up ads are not the same thing! You can control many Pop Ups by using free software available on the internet or by disabling Java Script on your browser. '

Still worth the effort? Dunno...