PDA

View Full Version : Lost Task and Tool Bars in Word 2000

23-01-2002, 02:32 PM
I run Office 2000 in Win 98.

Somehow I have lost my Task and Tool bars in Word 2000. I have dragged all around the side of the window to no effect. Keyboard commands with regard to task bar commands do not work.

Uninstalling the programme and reinstalling it does not make any difference. Installing Word 97 which is Ok then reinstalling Word 2000 makes no diference. Doing all of the above into a different folder makes no difference either.

Installing the program on a different computer works fine.

I don't want to re format my HD because it would drive me nuts.

Help please!!

23-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Try this - from Word, select View menu, click Toolbars & make sure Standard & Formatting are ticked. If needed, drag one down a bit.

23-01-2002, 04:11 PM
...time wise, the easiest fix might be to simply Uninstall then Reinstall the programme.

Please post again should you need help with that.

If you have a Registry CLeaner - tidy up before the fresh Install.

Cheers!!!

e_

DISCLAIMER: follow advice at own risk

23-01-2002, 04:27 PM
This does not work as I can't open View as I have no task bar. The only thing I have at the top is a ruler.

Thanks for your response.

Tom

23-01-2002, 04:30 PM
I have uninstalled this program at least four times.

Smae result. It is Ok if I install on another computer.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

23-01-2002, 04:30 PM
I have uninstalled this program at least four times.

Smae result. It is Ok if I install on another computer.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

23-01-2002, 11:22 PM
...with reference to my earlier suggestion of uninstalling/reinstalling - did you use a Registry cleaner following the Uninstall (and *prior* to the fresh Install) to ensure the Uninstall was 'clean' (??)

[i am presuming you are an experienced User and a correct proceedure was followed when Uninstalling]

Logically, i am struggling to grasp why the Programme will Install and run on another System but not yours.

I had a similar problem some time ago with Works 2000, losing the Tool Bar which a regular Uninstall/Reinstall did not correct...

...the answer proved to be removing *all* remnants after the Uninstall - including the Registry keys.

I hope your problem will be resolved without resorting to a reformat and driving yourself nuts (as you suggested).

Should it come to that, a reformat would not be required: removing 'Windows' and 'Programmes' using the DELTREE commands - followed by a fresh Install of the OS - is a relatively quick and painless process (given that everything has been backed up).

Best wishes!!!

e_

DISCLAIMER: follow this advice at your own risk

24-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Hi Tom,

Yes, I agree with e_ regarding remnants of programs being left in the registry. Also you may find that normal.dot will be left behind after uninstalling Word 2000. This could also be a source of trouble. You will find it in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. Uninstalling Word and then deleting normal.dot as well might do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rod.

24-01-2002, 09:26 AM
I have gone through program files and windows folder and removed any remnants of office/word that I can identify. I have also used Regclean prior to reinstall.

I have looked in the registry but I am not experienced enough to be able to identify any old settings that may remain.

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

24-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Found it removed the Template still no difference

Tom

24-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Tom,

I take it the keyboard shortcuts didn't work?

A further suggestion seeing that just the ruler is displayed:

Minimize all open applications, Open Word then right-click the time in the bottom right corner on the taskbar. Click 'Tile Windows Vertically'. If this doesn't work try the cascading option.

A second suggestion - try the other one first - is to change the resolution on your monitor - right-click desktop, properties, settings and slide the bar a bit to the right. Open Word and see if it makes a difference.

21-03-2002, 07:11 AM
3/20/2002 i just had same problem and these are the step i had done.

1 remove office 2000 then install office 97 or 95 if you have to c:\office 97 then upgrade it to office 2000 and check your word document.