PDA

View Full Version : IE 6

23-01-2002, 09:42 AM
I just upgraded to IE 6. I have had no problems running this program however I have a nagging feeling that I should have just stuck with IE 5. What are the benefits of running IE 6.

23-01-2002, 10:44 AM
Better(?) security.

I'm using IE6 with ME and Win98SE.

Haven't had any problem with it.

23-01-2002, 11:21 AM
With IE6 you get an improvement in your security and a lot better cookie control plus some other benefits I cant remember. The thing with IE6 is all the new security measures and coding of sites etc are based on IE6 compatability....in other words when it is implemented then it will work better with 6 and not so well with 5.5 .6 also starts out where 5.5 and all the patches left off and so in theory can only improve. I have used both and in my opinion 6 is a smoother and quicker browser to use ....but thats just my opinion. I suggest have a look at the posts further down as they cover IE6 as well.

23-01-2002, 12:10 PM
Some other benefits include.
Flakey behaviour with some dhtml an java sites.
When it crashes it's likely to leak memory till your PC falls over :)

IE 5.5 is better for supporting internet standards and the security patches for IE 5.5 are almost the same as the security patches for IE6. I would use the word 'Upgrade' loosely.

I've seen a few machines 'Upgraded' to IE6 and those machines have been happily running Netscape 6.2 ever since :)

24-01-2002, 12:16 AM
Security is the main issue here however IE5.5 SP2 with Critical and Security updates definetely runs better on Internet/Intranet Network. I Installed IE5 on half my network and had to turn around and downgrade to 5.5 as users were unable to download private web certificates to enable them to enter private web sites critical to there working environment. Also some web pages did not display correctly.
On the Home PC however, I doubt you will notice any problems.