PDA

View Full Version : hackers

22-01-2002, 08:51 PM
my son was in a chatroom and he said someone tried to hack into our computer. when that happened he went offline.we have an antivirus and firewall would that stop hackers?

22-01-2002, 09:08 PM
How does he know that someone tried to hack into the system. Antivirus does not do anything in the way of stopping hackers getting in, but always remember to keep it updated. A firewall will help protect your computer from hackers, provided that it is all set up correctly.

For information on computer security have a look at
http://www.grc.com/

Hope this helps
JM

22-01-2002, 09:41 PM
The brutal truth, is that not even a firewall will stop hackers, the good news however, is that chances are about 95% that every hacker on this planet that is good enough to get past your personal firewall, has more ethics than to do so.

It does beg the question though of why your son thought someone was trying to hack you...

22-01-2002, 10:17 PM
If you're using something like Zonealarm then often it will show a warning that you're computer has been pinged or something similiar. Often these is quite innocent or even random. When the warning comes up, Zonealarm can advise you where the supposed threat originated from (though you can only do this a small number of times on the free edition as I found out). Recently I had a spate that originated from Korea an Taiwan and I doubt that they were directed personally at me. People would die of boredom looking on my harddrive. You'll probably find that it was unrelated to the chatroom and was one of those 'random pings'. However it's better to be safe than sorry, if you have a firewall and virus scanner going, then take the time to make sure that they are up to date (including the virus Dat files) and configured properly.

23-01-2002, 11:44 AM
The thing with chatrooms is that anyone clever enough can find you IP address when you're in one.

Always keep a firewall running when you are connected (it will block attempts and and alert you when someone tries)

I would reccomend getting surfinguard fromm www.finjan.com . When a hacker gets through to your maching they'll probably leave behind a program called a trojan that gives them control/access to your machine.

Also go to sheildss up! at www.grc.com to test your firewall and get advice on the results.

23-01-2002, 06:51 PM
Before you attempt this, I should warn you that there are some awfully bad sites out there and the unscrupulous operaters can and will invade your privacy, attempt to tamper with your PC and even redirect you to sites that have nothing to do with their purported reason for being. So, be warned!

Zone Alarm, if you're using it, reports the address of the computer that's probing your machine.

If you type http:// and then that IP address in your browser's address field and hit enter, it'll take you to that site.

If the machine doing the probing is not 'spoofing' by using a surrogate to do the actual probe, that is.

Often you'll find that the activity is totally innocent and the site in question is well known, possibly one you visited in the past.

If not, you might receive more info than you bargain for. So my advice would be to ensure your firewall and your browser's security features are active and up to date, and ignore the probes unless something nasty starts happening to your PC.

And DON'T track the IP addresses that ZA reports.

Surf safe,

Andy. :-)

26-01-2002, 05:58 PM
That actually will return you nothing more often than not. That only works if the ZA alert has come from a computer being used as an HTTP server.

Not every computer runs an HTTP daemon, and trying to connect to a computer without one using http://XXX.XX.XXX.XX will just give you an error 404.