PDA

View Full Version : . . . PLEASE LEAVE THE 'PRESS F.1' BOARD ALONE (!!!)

22-01-2002, 06:14 PM
...in recent months i have watched and read with passing interest (literally) hundreds of messages on this Board which relate to the style, presentation and management of PRESS F1.

Although generally positive, the main thrust has been for CHANGE (emphasis added).

At the risk of being 'flamed' off the Board, I have started this thread for the silent (majority?) who like PRESS F.1 just the way it is - warts and all - and don't want any changes.

All those things which the 'Voices of Change' address - such as multiple postings, repeated questions [like, how to Defrag a Hard Drive beyond 10%], bad spelling and grammar, O/T postings, grizzling from regulars about the afore mentioned, etc, etc, etc - all go towards making the PRESS F.1 Board somewhat 'unique'.

For myself, it is this Board's 'uniqueness' which brings me back each day.

In my Favourites Folder there is a sub-folder containing 19 short cuts/bookmarks to various 'PC Help Forums' around the world, those which I consider to be the best in their respective field/s.

PRESS F.1 is also there - not because it is one of the best (it's not) but because it is 'unique'.

Should anyone (anyone??) AGREE with my point of view - please add to this thread. No need to leave a message; should you prefer, simply place an asterik (*) in the Message Field and click 'Post'.

[Robo will know if anyone cheats and makes multiple postings under different nic's just to boost this straw poll]

Should anyone (everyone???) DISAGREE with my point of view - please post on a different thread. Thanks.

First vote ... (*)

e_

22-01-2002, 06:31 PM
I agree e_

I visit every day.

22-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Hi e_

Thanks for your input - and I hear what you are saying We certainly don't want to change Press F1 to its detriment - nor do we want to lose its uniqueness. However we think we can improve it without losing that unique character which makes it what it is.

Part of that uniqueness is the excellent community feeling about PressF1, which is why we want to involve everyone in this discussion - and keep them involved with and informed of any proposed changes.

Mark Evans
Online Business Manager
IDG Communications Ltd

22-01-2002, 07:11 PM
I must say, any uniqueness this board has, is due to the character of the people who write to it.

I personally dont think the annoyingly repetitive common posts, the double posts, the impersonations and the fun I get trying to find a slightly older post to respond to adds to the uniqueness, at least not in any good way.

I suppose on the plus side it does teach one the virtue of patience ;-)

22-01-2002, 09:04 PM
e_ provided that this forum is easy to use is all that really matters to me.

JM

22-01-2002, 09:59 PM
I dont think the majority want full blown 'change' to happen to PressF1 but i beleive that they are looking for improvement. There is a difference, improvement is just wanting to make the place that little bit better. A lot of comments have been made purely as ideas...the type that are thrown around to see if things could be better or not.....definatly not the type of idea that says this sucks and lets change it all. I personally love the site as it is and if no improvements were made I'd still visit daily....but I also beleive that there is slight room for improvement...ie the lockout on the post button....the cateragising of the EXPIRED posts not the current ones on the home page. The moderators and so forth. All are good ideas and will improve the site without taking away any of the uniqueness that keeps us all coming back.
lol...when I started my post I was just trying to get people thinking about what they had here and get some discussion going....The reaction was a bit more than I anticipated.I think the majority of the replies were positive and basically all stated that they loved the site and did not want major change...only minor improvements.

22-01-2002, 10:51 PM
(*)
This is an awesome site....I love it! :)

23-01-2002, 01:02 AM
*?

I agree with everybody. I like it the way it is, and it has become part of my daily routine, but, it might be better too. Just dont ruin it.

Cheers.

23-01-2002, 01:21 PM
(*)Here here,I've got alot of help here and being new with no formal traing have made my fair share of stuff ups.

23-01-2002, 01:53 PM
(*)(*) <== i give it 2 boobies up !!!!