PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate files

22-01-2002, 03:09 PM
I feel this ia probably so basic so forgive me for asking. I have just installed'Power Tools' and have brought up duplicate files - hundreds of them!The author warns users not to delete them willy nilly unless you know what you're doing. I don't! Many are 4X and more duplicated but the duplicates don't all appear to have identical file paths ie NOT absolute duplicates in every way. Are there any tips as to which duplicates are generally safe to remove. And is there any way to find out which are shared by another application? Where there are multiples, say 4 or more, is it safe to leave say 2 and dump the rest? Thanks for any guidance.

22-01-2002, 04:04 PM
i can only offer my approach. I look at what the files are, if you have 4 'pictureofthefrontdoor.jpg', chances are you only need the one. As a rule, i beleive that if you don't know what the files are, it is better to leave them alone, particualy if they are part of ANY programme. In my system the biggest hassle was duplicate .mp3's You will need to make your own decitions as to what you can be bothered hunting down, and illiminating.

23-01-2002, 12:16 AM
I know what u mean Bryan.

I'm always finding duplicates when I have a good clean out. What I generally do, and has worked so far, is delete the ones that look deleteable (if that makes sense),pick the safe looking larger ones and delete. If you have others with the same name , size etc and you find later that you shouldn't have because you needed it, you can always do a copy and paste job.

Does that make sense?

Cheers.

23-01-2002, 05:49 AM
Thanks Graham and Chris for your imput. I think as you recommend I'll be selective and send what looks like a couple of large, safe ones to the recycle bin first then wait and see for a week before empting it and take it from there. Cheers Bryan