PDA

View Full Version : Office XP Standard for students & teachers

22-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Why is Office XP Standard for students & teachers (no student ID required) so cheap ($299)? Is there a catch? If purchased & installed, is one able to upgrade when the next version comes out? If Office XP is installed over Office 97, will Access 97 still be available for use?

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers David

22-01-2002, 01:10 AM
It is no different from the normal version. It is simply a discount for those in academic fields. You usually need ID to get it to stop everyone just buying the cheaper version. I have Office 2000 academic and it is the same as my fathers regular version.

G P

22-01-2002, 07:01 AM
Its just cheaper for students and teachers - for example, Windows XP Pro Upgrade is $599, but the academic price (for students and teachers etc.) is just $210. There's no difference at all in the actual product.

22-01-2002, 03:26 PM
There is a warning in the document that comes with it that it is 'Non-upgradeable' I take this to mean if you wanted to go to full professional version then you have have to pay new rather than upgrade price. The wording is also quite strong that it is not for business usage.