PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Failure

21-01-2002, 10:17 PM
My 6 month old Quantum Fireball 10gig hard drive has failed during the Xmas break. I have replaced it with a new unit. I want to retreive some information from the Quantum before I send it back under warranty, but it will not access any. I have tried to re-install it to no avail. Does anyone know of any software that will force it's way in to copy the info. I had backed up daily, but need the information stored on the last day

21-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Billy T recovered a week's worth of 'lost' data on his crashed drive just before Xmas, but it was expensive. The company is Computer Forensics Ltd (Auckland?).

Since your drive is still under warranty, I would be asking Quantum to recover your data for you, if it was me.

21-01-2002, 11:39 PM
There is a program called 'Final Data Enterprise' which will access any HDD, formatted, semi-formatted, unformatted etc. to find important files etc. I saved a few important files off my dead drive about 18 months ago using Final Data. I used the demo, which allows you to save 3 files per session (took me several hours as I wanted about 100 files LOL) but the full version is available over the net, but its kind of expensive, and may not be worth it for using just the once.

22-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Chances of success are slim, but it costs nothing to try and is a HELL of a lot easier than data recovery software...

Try just plugging the 'dead' drive in as a slave to a functioning drive, sometimes thats gets enough usability to copy some data files.

22-01-2002, 04:58 PM
The old (DOS) 's NU with /m option could use a disk as a raw data source and copy sectors to files.

If the disk is recognisable by BIOS, Linux can copy the raw data off disk with the 'dd' command. Then a search for recognisable text strngs might let you recover (unfragmented) text files.