PDA

View Full Version : Banner etc ads

21-01-2002, 08:46 PM
I noticed that while connecting to several site's today, the bottom left of the screen showed details like 'double click' and several others and therefore I presume that this relates to the setting up of ads.

I figure that if I can stop such ads from loading in the first place, then my data transfer speed will increase as my computer will not be 'wasting time' setting up ads, am I right ?

Assuming for the moment the answer is yes, then anyone got any suggestions re a program suitable for the job.

21-01-2002, 09:00 PM
First of all you use a 'Host' file in the Windows directory to contain the advertisers web address which link to 127.0.0.1 which is usually your own computer( You have to set up your DNS so your ISP and the 127.0.0.1 are entered). You may want to use a program called Edexter which will serve up a small picture from your own PC to replace the advert.

21-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Iain, this is what you want:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6182,00.asp

AdsOff is really marvellous! It's easy to use, blocks cookies as well as other options. It is shareware but the author appears to have fallen off the net, so get it from PC World quick while it lasts.

21-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Hi Susan B, thanks heaps for the AdsOff suggestion, downloaded it and as you said - it's marvellous !!

22-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Careful you lot, you'll have Kerry after you. Guess how the banners get onto this site.(answer below)

[kcilcelbuod]

22-01-2002, 09:21 PM
Glad to hear that you like it Iain.

LOL Graham. Well, I do switch off AdsOff every now and then to see what I'm missing on this site, you know ;-)

Gerard, I once tried Webwasher before AdsOff and had problems with it back then, which is why it got ditched. It's probably better now, but I'm happy with the one I've got. Others might find it useful though.