PDA

View Full Version : Can a special type of phone line make a 56K modem speed up to 10X faster?

21-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Hi today I saw this product at Noel Leeming/computer city a special type of phone line that can make a normal 56K modem speed up to 10X faster, in the back of the product it said that normal phone don't give the true or full speed of what a modem can actually give and it works on any speed of modem. And I was wondering is it true and is it possible to speed up a 56k modem to 10X times faster than before?
This special type of phone line like the same normal phone but much more thicker and seems to have more wires in it and it's differnt from the normal phone wires.

So can any tell me is it possible and have any one got this product or heard about it, if so can you give me suggestions about what you think about, thanks alot.

21-01-2002, 05:40 PM
A standard phone line can give you more than your standard 56k modem rates. It mostly depends on your isp and how much bandwidth they'll give you. I've worked for a small isp and I saw very high speeds over a 56k modem.

Something you buy from a shop is not going to increase what your isp giving to you.

21-01-2002, 08:02 PM
Your modem is also a limiting factor. The theoretical maximum is 56K it is impossible to exceed this by replacing the phone line. The product you saw is probably for people who have a very slow connection eg 5.6K due to telecom's shoddy phone lines. I would be very sceptical about the product and definitely would not buy it unless you have a very slow connection in which case I would first talk to telecom and your isp before trying alternatives.

G P

21-01-2002, 09:06 PM
this sounds familar. i've had a few builders/sparkies ask about this special phone cable some wholesalers are pushing.

its sounds like the cable is just ordinary cat5 lan networking cable which is an easy way to put in 4 lines into a home. a lot of sparkies are starting to do that now. a few spare lines for future use.

unless you can rewire all the way back to telecoms exchange you are not going to make any difference.

it will interesting to read the fine print on that cable otherwise it sounds like Noel Leeming/ computer city could be up for false advertising (yet again if i remember rightly)

21-01-2002, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't believe it myself. there are too many things involved, lines in the house, house to a junction box, lines to the exchange, the exchange itself and then your ISP and the lines from there.

21-01-2002, 10:41 PM
For now I using Zfree and I think most of you guys know how slow Zfree can sometimes be. And this special type of phone could be just a trick I was wondering then if I brought a DSL, can I use it to connect to Zfree and speed up the internet speed or is this impossible?

Thanks alot

21-01-2002, 10:45 PM
Basically I would say this is rubbish.There is no such thing as a special type of phone line that would increase your speed by 10X.Even if as Tweake says,it's cat 5,running that all the wat to the exchange will make very little difference,unless you have a real bad line to begin with.You will still not get any mopre than 56k,as that is the limit of the modem,and there is no way you can exceed that( as far as I know).I too,would be very interested in finding out exactly what Noel Leeming's are actually selling and saying.Sorry,but hope this helps
Peter

21-01-2002, 11:59 PM
I wouldnt be so quick to discount it guys. Im running a winmodem with a ZFree account over standard phonelines, and Ive managed to peak my transfers at about 80KBps, and while this is only for a second, I can get sustained bursts of up to 20KBps regularly.

If my 56600bps modem can function at speeds of up to 655360bps and normaly functions at around 73728bps then its certainly not true that a modems physical limit is 56600bps.