PDA

View Full Version : Seasons Greetings

ruup
22-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Seasons Greetings to one and all... I have a quick question regarding Windows 10. I have an ageing desktop running Windows 10 64 bit. I am wondering if it has a activation code somewhere that I could use if I up date my desktop with a new motherboard,cpu, ram etc. Or is it tied to my old hardware?

Happy Days!

CliveM
22-12-2019, 01:59 PM
It is tied to your existing hardware.

Seasons Greetings to you also.

dugimodo
22-12-2019, 02:34 PM
if you use a live MS login and have an OEM key that you've tied to your account it *may* let you transfer it to new hardware. Also if it's a retail copy of windows you just reinstall with the same key, no problem there.

wainuitech
22-12-2019, 03:58 PM
if you use a live MS login and have an OEM key that you've tied to your account it *may* let you transfer it to new hardware. Also if it's a retail copy of windows you just reinstall with the same key, no problem there. This works fine most of the time, just did it yesterday.

The Customer had a really low spec E1 AMD that really shouldn't even be allowed to be sold, its useless :sleep

Built a whole new PC of reasonable specs, imaged the drive to a SSD, wiped out the AMD drivers installed new Intel, cleaned out all the old junk from AMD, went through the changed hardware - all activated and really flying :D

Seasons Greetings as well to everyone