PDA

View Full Version : Slow laptop - upgrade?

MPG
11-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Hi,

My laptop is an HP Probook 4531s : CPU i5 2430M, 8GB RAM DDRS3 665 MHz, GPU Radeon HD64590M, HDD Hitachi 465 GB, Operating System Win 7 Pro 64bit SP1.

It is notably slow compared with my desktop with the following specs: MB Asus Prime H270M-Plus, CPU i5 7600, 16 GB RAM 1196 MHz, GPU GTX1050, Drives 1 Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB, 2 Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB, OS Win 10 Pro 64bit ver 1903.

I was contemplating buying a new laptop but it has been suggested to me (by PBTech) that my current machine could be upgraded, an SSD installed and the software/data on the HDD cloned. Does this sound like a sensible idea? It could save quite a lot of money. Anything else worth considering if I were to upgrade? I think the RAM is maxed out for this model. Is it worth considering changing the OS? I have noted that a number of people have had problems when they have changed to Win 10 on this model.

Thoughts/recommendations gratefully received. Cheers, Michael.

wainuitech
11-10-2019, 02:49 PM
The biggest problem you would have if using Windows 10 will be the Radeon HD64590M Graphics.

Some of the older AMD graphics are simply not supported. BUT you can disable the Radeon drivers and run on Windows basic. Generally you wont notice the difference unless you are used to fiddling with graphics. BUT its not a simple as uninstalling them, you have actually block them from downloading in the first place.

Other wise a SSD will certainly speed things up.

piroska
12-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Slow when doing what?Net? Gaming? Or just booting up?

More ram would help and an ssd.
And sometimes, if you have had it for a few years, a fresh install of windows does - it kills all the bloat.

dugimodo
12-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Yeah a lot depends on what you use it for. An SSD will speed up load times, startup times, general responsiveness. But it won't help if you don't have enough performance with the CPU/GPU whatever for the software you are using.
It also doesn't makes games play better.

MPG
12-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Hi Wainuitech, Many thanks for your response. I don't think I will change to OS. I am just waiting for a quote to install an SSD and clone the HDD. Will almost certainly go ahead with the upgrade.

MPG
12-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Hi Piroska, The slowness is particularly noticeable when booting up and when MS downloads are in progress. I don't game and the laptop is really just a backup for my desktop or for use when traveling. In that regard, it is mainly now used now (recently retired) for family history, military history, storage of photos and just keeping in touch. May also include internet searching.

I was under the impression that the RAM was already maxed out - 8 GB. It is not the quickest DDR3 @ 665 MHz. If I can add more RAM (doubtful) or quicker RAM I would certainly consider it.

Thanks again, Michael

MPG
12-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Hi Dugimodo, Glad for the reassurance about adding an SSD. This mat seem like a silly question, but would the installation of an SSD mean that the HDD had to be removed? If not, I might just retain the HHD as a D drive to store data? That might affect the size of the SSD required. Thanks for your help, Michael.

dugimodo
12-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Some laptops have 2 drive bays, most don't. On models with a SATA optical drive some people like to replace the optical drive with a disk caddy that holds the second hard drive. Can be fiddly to install and might not look the best but they do the job https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/ENCORC1013/Orico-Aluminum-7--95-mm-Internal-Hard-Drive-Caddy. Obviously you lose the optical drive in the process. You could also get an enclosure to put the old drive in and use it as an external.

wainuitech
12-10-2019, 06:31 PM
As mentioned previously, a SSD will certainly speed up the laptop.

8GB is plenty for a W7 along with a i5 CPU.

The last few Computers I have changed over (for customers) theres a NOTICEABLE difference after the change.

An example the last two I have done, both took approx 3.5 -4 minutes to get up and going on a standard drive, changed them (imaged) the first boot afterwards sorts it self out, but after that they have both booted to fully running in 12-15 seconds from completely off. The reason for imaging first then dropping that image back onto a blank SSD, instead of a clone is some devices (like HP's) sometimes fail, but with an image they always seem to work fine.

The overall performance is noticeable as well.

MPG
13-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Hi Wainuitech,

Many thanks for your reply. I will take your advice on board. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Regards
Michael

MPG
20-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Hi All,

Many thanks for the advice. Just to let you know that I have recently got my laptop back from PBTech. Had a play round with it and am happy with the outcome - certainly a lot quicker than before. Thanks again guys!

Michael