PDA

View Full Version : Location

ianhnz
25-09-2019, 08:54 PM
My windows 10 Home, when I select location cones up with Rotorua & I live in Tauranga.
I remember & thats hard, that this also happened with our XP system.
I gone to location, in settings and it says, Some settings re hidden or managed by your organisation, what wever that means.
Below that says, location is off and button greyed.
Hope someone can please help, with this.
Ian

wainuitech
25-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Try opening the weather App, will it let you select your exact location ?

If it doesn't open the settings ( Cog)

Under Launch Location can you select "Always Detect my Location"

ianhnz
26-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Try opening the weather App, will it let you select your exact location ?

If it doesn't open the settings ( Cog)

Under Launch Location can you select "Always Detect my Location"

I dont know how to find the, weather App, on my machine.
Looked through all the settings & no thing there...

piva
26-09-2019, 10:41 AM
I suspect this is because if you are on a laptop or desktop the only position information MS has - no GPS- is obtained from where your IP address is registered. I have similar in Auckland where I am showing as the next suburb which is the IP routing center.

wainuitech
26-09-2019, 10:59 AM
I dont know how to find the, weather App, on my machine.
Looked through all the settings & no thing there... Its on the start menu where all programs should be listed.

Click on the Start, scroll down to W and look for Weather.

OR if it hasn't been removed look on the tiles from the start menu, its a default app.

OR failing that - Click on the Store ( task bar - looks like a shopping bag)

open it, in the search window type weather, look for MSN Weather app - it will either open and say launch or Install.

You may find your location services are turned off, if so when you tell the app to locate your location you'll get this message.

Its very accurate, wont show the next town or suburb. Every time I've set it up for customers its 100% on the dot as to where you are. If its not detecting correctly then some other settings are turned off or incorrect.

ianhnz
26-09-2019, 11:47 AM
I suspect this is because if you are on a laptop or desktop the only position information MS has - no GPS- is obtained from where your IP address is registered. I have similar in Auckland where I am showing as the next suburb which is the IP routing center.

Thats right.
Mines a lappy & wifes a desktop, both Windows 10, Home.
All works good on wifes computer, problem is mine.....

ianhnz
26-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Its on the start menu where all programs should be listed.

Click on the Start, scroll down to W and look for Weather.

OR if it hasn't been removed look on the tiles from the start menu, its a default app.

OR failing that - Click on the Store ( task bar - looks like a shopping bag)

open it, in the search window type weather, look for MSN Weather app - it will either open and say launch or Install.

You may find your location services are turned off, if so when you tell the app to locate your location you'll get this message.

Its very accurate, wont show the next town or suburb. Every time I've set it up for customers its 100% on the dot as to where you are. If its not detecting correctly then some other settings are turned off or incorrect.

Sorry no weather on my start & cant find the Store

CliveM
26-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Just type "Store" or "Weather" in the search box Ian. Then hit Enter and look for it in the results.

ianhnz
26-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Just type "Store" or "Weather" in the search box Ian. Then hit Enter and look for it in the results.

Store brings up Apps & features no weather there and weather just brings up a doc about weather

feersumendjinn
26-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Left-click Start (bottom left corner of taskbar, looks like microsoft logo), then start typing, this will start the Search.

ianhnz
26-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Left-click Start (bottom left corner of taskbar, looks like microsoft logo), then start typing, this will start the Search.

Yes thats what I did/do

wainuitech
26-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Store brings up Apps & features no weather there and weather just brings up a doc about weather Is the store Icon in the task bar as per the previous picture ?

If its missing you may need to reinstall it.

Have a read how theres several options https://pureinfotech.com/fix-microsoft-store-problems-windows-10/