PDA

View Full Version : Cd writer External v internal

20-01-2002, 06:47 PM
I have an HP pavillion with just a Cd drive but no spare outside slots. I wish to copy photos and music that I have downloaded. Do I take out the cd drive and replace it with an internal writer or do I but an external writer (I have a usb port on the front of my cpu) I am worried about the speed of the external and I don't want to spend heaps Thanks

20-01-2002, 07:12 PM
You really need to weigh up the costs here.
Advantage with a external one of course is that you can take it else where and hook up to other computers. If you are going to the expense of buying a internal unit you could almost trade off the CDRom and use the CD writer as both the reader and writer.
If you are only going to use it now and again and you live in a main city, you might be able to hire a external cd writer for a day, I know you could in chch from several outlets

20-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Thanks
No I'm in a small although I have enquiered and they don't hire out Hence the need to get something My computer is 2 years old so I don't know that I would get anything for the cd What is the difference in the performance of an internal and an external 'cause if an internal was much better and cheaper it might be worth sacrificing the cd On the other habd my frieds could use it Does it work that way if say 2 of us bought it? Regards

20-01-2002, 10:24 PM
If you have an HP Pavillion and only have a floppy and Cd drive installed and no spare slots then the tooth fairy must have nicked them.
HP are cunning devil's and conceal the extra slots behind
a facade. Take of the right hand panel and send someone small to jump in and have a look around and I'm pretty sure you will see at least one spare slot. Have a good
close look at the plasic panel in the front and you will find it is made up of a couple of pieces. You may have to slip the drive cage out a tad to remove the said
panel but it can be done, trust me. Been there done that with an internal 9100 series Cdr and it works a treat. And don't do away with your original Cd rom, for reasons I'm not going to get into. Again just trust me.

20-01-2002, 11:25 PM
If you are absolutely sure that you don't have a spare slot for a writer then my tendency would be to go for an external drive. It will cost more than an internal but it will have more flexibility, ie be transferable to other machines if necessary.

Copying from a cd-rom to cd-writer is faster than from the hard drive to the cd-writer, but there can be a risk of buffer errors. You are unlikely to be copying things from a cd-rom to cd-rom all the time so the speed difference is quite tolerable.

Be aware also that cd-writers can 'wear out' faster than cd-roms and it is not recommended to use writers intensively for, say, games, so you would be better off keeping your cd-rom for that purpose.

21-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Hello Lucille,
Another thing to watch for with an internal cd writer,is in some cases,if you ever need to do a restore, there is a need to remove the writer temporarily and reinstall the old cd rom.

and I do agree with you about no panel to install the cd rom as well. I have a HP 6615 and the cd rom and writer cant be housed together unless a usb port is removed.
good luck
Bob

21-01-2002, 03:27 PM
MMM Thanks
It seems to me that an external might be the answer IF it can do what I need which is saving songs and photos off my digital (which has got itself over 1000 and still growing)
Any one any thoughts on the HP cd4ce and it's software I'd be grateful
Lucille