PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card suppresses boot up screen

Tony
22-09-2019, 05:23 PM
My desktop PC (Win10 pro) has Radeon onboard graphics and an NVIDIA discrete graphics card. If I plug the monitor into the onboard graphics, all is fine.
If I plug into the NVIDIA, all sorts of things happen:
When I boot up, I don't see any of the startup stuff - multi-boot menu etc. The first thing I see is the logon screen.
The desktop has no icons - just the taskbar. I can drag from the left to see my "proper" desktop, but as soon as I let go the mouse button it springs back to a blank desktop. If I change the plug to the Radeon graphics at this point, everything comes right.

What's going on? The NVIDIA card has the latest drivers.

dugimodo
22-09-2019, 05:50 PM
Are you leaving something plugged into the onboard graphics? What you describe sounds like the system thinks there are two monitors and you are seeing just the secondary one.

If you can get into the display settings and see 2 monitors, change which one is the primary or disable the one that isn't connected. There is an identify option if you are not sure.

Tony
22-09-2019, 06:03 PM
No, I take the DVI plug out of one and plug it into the other. I understand what you are saying though. The problem is that when I'm plugged into the Nvidia card and have the blank desktop, everything I initiate displays on the invisible desktop. At least I assume it does - it certainly doesn't display where I can see it.

Bryan
22-09-2019, 08:38 PM
I don't know the answer but I wonder if it is to do with what seems like plug and play. Have you tried turning off the desktop, change your connection to the Nvidia and restarting? Merely a thought on my part.

Tony
22-09-2019, 10:25 PM
I don't know the answer but I wonder if it is to do with what seems like plug and play. Have you tried turning off the desktop, change your connection to the Nvidia and restarting? Merely a thought on my part.

Yes, tried that.

CliveM
23-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Have you tried disabing the onboard graphics? Dugimodo's post above looks like it describes what is happening.

Tony
23-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Have you tried disabing the onboard graphics? Dugimodo's post above looks like it describes what is happening.

I thought about that, but when I go into the BIOS setup I can't find anything to disable.

CliveM
23-09-2019, 08:23 AM
How about disabling it in Device Manager?
The only other thing I can think of is hook up two monitors and see if you can sort it out then.

Tony
23-09-2019, 09:20 AM
How about disabling it in Device Manager?
The only other thing I can think of is hook up two monitors and see if you can sort it out then.

I have to be really careful or I'm going to end up totally snookered. The only time I can see anything to do anything is if the monitor is connected to the on-board graphics. So if I disable that in Device Manager presumably my screen will go blank. Now maybe if I then plug into the graphics card everything will be visible - but if it is not I'm up a gum tree.

The two-monitor thing will be worth a go though - I'll try that when I have a bit of time this arvo.

CliveM
23-09-2019, 09:46 AM
At least with two monitors you could see what you were doing and if you make the graphics card connected one the number 1 display you should be able to see what happens when the on board video number 2 display is disabled.
I would make a active@ backup before starting just to be certain if it turned to custard I had an easy way to recover.

23-09-2019, 11:07 AM
The obvious question.. :)

why not just use the Radeon onboard graphics . Why do you need the NVidea card, unless for games ?
If you dont NEED the Nvidea card, remove it completely .

Tony
23-09-2019, 01:44 PM
The obvious question.. :)

why not just use the Radeon onboard graphics . Why do you need the NVidea card, unless for games ?
If you dont NEED the Nvidea card, remove it completely .

You are quite right of course. I'm just trying to satisfy my inner geek in wanting to know what is going on, and trying to decide whether I do get a significant performance boost when the card is in use.

CliveM
23-09-2019, 02:38 PM
I recall that when I installed my current GTX 1060 card that I found on booting the system that it seemed to pause for a second or so and then booted straight into windows without the usual screen which lets you get into the bios and other start up options. I figured that the system was taking a couple of seconds to find my GTX 1060 card. I disabled on-board video and it then booted up as per normal.

I thought Wainui would have given us an expert opinion by now :)

piroska
23-09-2019, 02:42 PM
1)Disable the onboard in BIOS.
You may not see it unless you go to Advanced settings

2)Disable it in Device manager.

Tony
23-09-2019, 03:36 PM
I recall that when I installed my current GTX 1060 card that I found on booting the system that it seemed to pause for a second or so and then booted straight into windows without the usual screen which lets you get into the bios and other start up options.

1)Disable the onboard in BIOS.
You may not see it unless you go to Advanced settings

2)Disable it in Device manager.

Clive, that is exactly what is happening here. See below.
Piroska, I can't see anywhere in the BIOS (ASUS) to disable onboard graphics - that was one of the first things I looked at. And yes, I did go into "advanced". Also see below.

Things are seriously weird.
The normal setup is Dell flatscreen plugged into Radeon on-board graphics.
The test setup is flatscreen plugged into the Nvidia card and my old Philips CRT plugged into the onboard graphics. It has to be that way because the Nvidia doesn't have VGA.

Under the normal setup I didn't have an option to disable the onboard graphics in device manager, only "uninstall". Under the test setup I can "disable", but it doesn't seem to make a difference! The VGA monitor still functions as though nothing has changed.

In the test environment:
When I boot up, all the POST stuff and the multi-boot menu appear on the Philips monitor, i.e. via the on board graphics.
Once that is done I get the blue Windows logo on the Philips monitor, then it goes dark and the login screen appears on the flatscreen - i.e. via the Nvidia card.
I eventually get to the Windows desktop on the flatscreen - i.e. via the Nvidia. The CRT shows a blank desktop.

If I go into display settings it shows the two monitors, with the Philips shown as 1 and the flatscreen shown as 2. I can't see any way to change those designations.

If I now reboot without the CRT plugged in, i.e. just the flatscreen is running from the Nvidia card, everything appears to be working OK (sigh). Display settings still shows two monitors, but if I click "detect" it not surprisingly says it can't find another monitor, even though there are 2 shown in the display window. The flatscreen is still showing as number 2.

So in summary, all now seems to be working with no positive action on my part. The thing with the disappearing desktop seems to have fixed itself somehow.

All very weird. I'd definitely like to know how to disable the onboard graphics from the BIOS.

Tony
23-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Piroska, I found the setting in the BIOS. IT is under Advanced. I didn't drill down quite far enough.
So I'm now running just off the video card, and I'm getting the POST etc on the screen. Also it is not showing multiple displays in settings any more, though I guess that could be because of the the reboot.

Still don't know why I was getting the weird disappearing desktop though.

piroska
23-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Piroska, I found the setting in the BIOS. IT is under Advanced. I didn't drill down quite far enough.

I was going to ask, what motherboard is it, the manual (online if you don't have one) shows you the menu breakdown.

wainuitech
23-09-2019, 09:36 PM
I recall that when I installed my current GTX 1060 card that I found on booting the system that it seemed to pause for a second or so and then booted straight into windows without the usual screen which lets you get into the bios and other start up options. I figured that the system was taking a couple of seconds to find my GTX 1060 card. I disabled on-board video and it then booted up as per normal.

I thought Wainui would have given us an expert opinion by now :)

Hadn't bothered reading it till tonight -- Lifes tough eh :p

After reading it though, these no great mystery. Some motherboards you can run both on-board and well as a graphic card at the same time, usually when this happens you select which ever is the default ( #1) monitor from within Windows. When doing this one monitor will usually display as normal, and the other is the "slave" meaning until the 2nd catches up the graphics wont display correctly.

I have a couple of customers whom I remote into with dual monitors, and thats fun because Once logged in we need to juggle #1 or #2 monitor.

If its only a single monitor with two possible working outlets then the Actual Motherboard needs to be altered to feed the correct graphics. If you only have a single monitor you would generally set the BIOS to boot / Display the correct Graphics. Lots of motherboards will auto override the on-board.

One thing MANY Have done, ( GUILTY more than once in the workshop as well) plugging into the Onboard instead of a graphic card,and WTF !! No graphics -- Then discover the "oops" :rolleyes::waughh::blush:

Tony
23-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Thanks WT, your comments are always worth reading.
One thing that nobody has explained is why I was getting this strange blank desktop (post #1), where the "real" desktop could be dragged into view, but always snapped back out of sight. It is all moot now as the thing seems to have gone away, but as I said one of the posts, my inner geek craves an answer. :)

wainuitech
24-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Thanks WT, your comments are always worth reading.
One thing that nobody has explained is why I was getting this strange blank desktop (post #1), where the "real" desktop could be dragged into view, but always snapped back out of sight. It is all moot now as the thing seems to have gone away, but as I said one of the posts, my inner geek craves an answer. :)
The way its been described sounds a little like since you can use either the on-board or Graphic Card that when the computer starts up its getting confused as to which graphics to load first.

When you have dual monitors, often the main Monitor (lets call it #1) will load and a few seconds later the #2 will load when it catches up. Often the #2 will remain Black /blank until #1 has displayed for a few seconds.

If you are able to drag the working desktop into view then it is loading OK ( but in the background) as a 2nd display.
Also it is not showing multiple displays in settings any more This was actually a good confirmation after Piroska advised to disable the on-board. This way only one is loading. :)

Tony
24-09-2019, 10:02 AM
That sounds plausible. Thanks.