PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps question

Tony
16-09-2019, 01:53 PM
I use Google maps all the time, and generally think its great. There is one aspect which confuses me these days.

You can set "places" like "Home" and "Work". There is a trip I do nearly every week between "Home" and "Work", but the intermediate waypoints route vary greatly. I used to be able to set up a trip by clicking on Home, then entering the intermediate destination(s) then clicking on Work.
Although those are identified as places, they don't show up as a suggestion any more when I am setting destinations. This has been the case for some time, but I've only just got irritated enough to post about it. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or has Maps changed for the worse?

piroska
16-09-2019, 03:52 PM
is it like Navman? That has 3 options, most direct route, less traffic route and I think 3rd is go the back way route or something.

We use direct and sometimes ignore it to start with. It readjusts so no biggie. Using it less now as we learn where we are going.

kahawai chaser
16-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Where is the home to work set up? If it's under "labelled" it seems you cannot add destinations along the journey anymore it seems. But I have set stops for journeys (including my former work destinations) under "saved" category. It adds route destinations as stops. It's a little convoluted though. Main settings - Your places - Saved - then add a new group list (if none present); Then add destination (e.g. work). Click on it then click on directions....Then more settings... click on the 3 upper/floating dots (you might have to scroll) to drop down a list - then add stop(s) - this displays a dialogue box of suggestions ATM, schools, banks, saved addresses, etc, -of course can add new address. I think that's it..or similar.

You know you can easily zoom on maps by double tapping and drag up/down...If you did not know...

Tony
16-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Home to work is not set up separately as a journey. They are just identified as "places". BTW I'm talking about the desktop version, not mobile.
Piroska's observations are not relevant (No offence), as none of that applies in this instance.

kahawai chaser
16-09-2019, 11:37 PM
Auto suggest worked for me in desktop version when adding intermediate destinations, and can shuffle them about, if in the driving or walking mode. Otherwise it won't work; or possibly auto suggest has been turned off in your browser. Does auto suggest work for general searches in your browser? Note - If adding destinations in the app as I have described above, actually displays as options for intermediate destinations, to add in the desktop version if need be.

Tony
17-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Hmmm... interesting. I discovered that when you start maps on the PC the panel on the left has the "search Google Maps" box. If you click in it it shows my location name with buttons, plus my places - i.e. home and work in my instance. I can then click on one of those and get that location shown, but I can't then use them in setting up a route, I can only select one of them as one location that route. I'm sure I have to be missing something, as it seems fairly useless as it stands.

kahawai chaser
17-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Strange. I'm assuming you have signed in, and that location (history) is turned on - otherwise it may not work fully, but limited to PC's IP address. Should work, i.e. to add multiple destinations (up to 9 or 10 I think). Another thought is that you have used other (new) devices, under different Google accounts, or no accounts. This may have included using the Map App on other devices. So do you have more than one login in to Google?

Tony
17-09-2019, 06:10 PM
I'm signed in. I can't find Location history, but map activity is turned on, which looks like it might be the same thing.
So here is the process:

I start Google Maps, and see the "initial view" below.
I click "work" and see the second image.
What I now want to do is to create a route between "home", some intermediate way point, and "work". While It is not a big deal to do it manually, I don't seem to be able to access the "places" while doing this. If I go to places then I lose what I was doing up to that point.

10005 10006

kahawai chaser
17-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Seem to be missing add destinations in the 2nd image. But if you add Home to the choose starting point box then the" add destinations" plus sign should appear. But may not if location history is paused. Check by opening Google account (in search) - data and personalization - activity controls - then below see if location history is not paused or if turned on.

I paused it (location history) on my pc, and destinations to add vanished along with work street images for work address. But then appeared when turned backed on - but then vanished in another tab when turned back on. So bit of delay dynamics going on for maps and location history.

Tony
17-09-2019, 10:22 PM
OK, I turned on location history as per your instructions, then waited quite a while and went back in but nothing has changed.
You are right there is no "add destination in my second image - that doesn't appear until you have a start and an end point established.
I have tried with home clicked, work clicked or a new address entered. In none of those cases am I presented with the places buttons or those addresses presented as possible new destinations - which is what used to happen. If I click "add destination" all I get is a text b ox in which I can enter an address. Once I start entering the address I am presented with the usual range of possible addresses - but not work or home.

kahawai chaser
18-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Strange again... Places buttons appear in my map when I add a address for choose a destination, and further buttons appear for subsequent add destinations - including work and home auto suggesting. But I noticed that my home and work address are "labelled" privately, which display as sub category in the "your places" section in the map settings.

According to Google having a private label aids in searching, suggestions, etc. Check if home/work are labelled. If not you can reassign addresses and label them as described here. (https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6257830?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en) Also need to have activity controls turned on (which I think you do), in addition to location history. Seems more Google subtle features need be active to yield better searching and mapping...

Also I just realized any such journeys can be saved as custom maps in "Your Places" section. I have just pulled many I did in the past, either at home on PC or using apps (using KML files) on smartphone whilst driving and saving/importing to Google Maps.

Tony
19-09-2019, 05:21 PM
I think I have fixed it. I saved my "home"and "work" locations as "starred places", and now they are showing up as suggestions when I add a destination. I also tried adding a label to somewhere else as you pointed me to, and that worked too.
I don't think I'm being particularly thick, but that all seems totally counter-intuitive and indirect.

Anyway, we got there in the end - thanks for your help.

kahawai chaser
20-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Glad it's fixed, one can be forgiven if Maps works unexpectedly, because I think Maps has become a big beast of things.This is evident in that Google Maps are also split into other sub apps, and it has an API - which I use to mess around with to make Maps Mashups Also Google's other mapping system - Waze (https://www.waze.com/) Maps. To get the most effective route/map setup you have to drill down at a granular level, which is cumbersome, convoluted, and at times confusing.

Note to add even more to places - for locations that have no known numerical address - have you tried their little known plus codes pin placements. You can assign a position code for any spot that has no address, e.g. in a reserve, vacant sections, paddocks, unnamed roads, beaches, harbors, etc. See here (https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/plus-codes-google-maps/)to do that...But it mainly works in the App. But crosses over and displays in the desktop version in your places section.